Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 GMC Jimmy Front-end SQUEAKING

nfoy413
08-20-2005, 09:05 AM
I recently purchased this 97 Jimmy SLT 4X4 and have found that the front-end is producing this aweful squeaking noise. It doesn't seem to be the shocks/struts. It only happens when the vehicle rocks side-to-side. A friend of mine said to lubricate the "a-frame", which I sprayed lubricant on with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start chasing this SQUEAK down!!? It's driving me crazy! :-)

BlazerLT
08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Grease your front end.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=344505

Bads Crew
08-21-2005, 07:56 AM
I recently purchased this 97 Jimmy SLT 4X4 and have found that the front-end is producing this aweful squeaking noise. It doesn't seem to be the shocks/struts. It only happens when the vehicle rocks side-to-side. A friend of mine said to lubricate the "a-frame", which I sprayed lubricant on with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start chasing this SQUEAK down!!? It's driving me crazy! :-)

I think your friend is correct. I have a 95 Blazer that does the same thing. Its the bushings in the upper swing arm. I have to soak em down with WD to make it stop. The shop I go to hates to do the job because it a P.I.T.A. The rubber bushings need to be replaced because they are hard due to age.

rlith
08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Heh. I just replaced my upper control arm bushings yesterday... Fun fun....Though my damn knock/jump while turning is gone...LOL... Though at least I got to play with the oxy/acect torch...LOL.. Though squeaking can come from several places up front

Body bushings

Control arm bushings (check for dryrot/cracks on the rubber edges)

Ball Joints (lack of grease, if that's happened, it's shot and needs
replaced)

Tie rod ends (same as ball joints)

swaybar links and bushings...(again, dryrot/cracks)

Bads Crew
08-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Could be a simple as the hood hinge or door hinge.

BlazerLT
08-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Could be as simple and go getting a grease gun.

Add your comment to this topic!