Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Programming Rodeo PCM

bobethiopia
08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi - I have a 2002 Rodeo (4x4, 3.2l, automatic, AC, U.S. model) which has developed a very annoying problem. About 2 months ago the engine began to cut out momentarily when a hard bump was hit. Since I live in Ethiopia, I hit bumps quite often. The problem has gotten worse as time goes on and it also seems to get worse as the engine heats up, i.e., when I do a lot of short trips. Generally, the engine does not cut completely out, but the Transmission, Check Engine, and Cruise Control lights come on momentarily and the engine misses. It is worse under load, say going up hill. Occassionaly the engine will cut out completely and I will need to restart it, which it does immediately. When not doing this the truck runs fine. This problem does not generate any P codes.

After checking all the connections I could find, I concluded that it was most likely that the PCM circuit board had developed a micro-crack which widen as the board warmed up and would cause a momentary short when bumped hard enough. I ordered a replacement PCM from a U.S. dealer which arrived last week. Unfortunately, when I opened the box I found a sticker on the PCM telling me that the unit needed to be programmed prior to installing it in the vehicle. Neither my Haynes manual or the dealer thought to mention this minor detail.

Bottom line is that I am now sitting here in Ethiopia with a new PCM which I can't use. Is it possible to perform this programming oneself, or will I need to send the unit back to an Izuzu dealer in the U.S.? If I do need to send it back, is there anything special I need to tell the dealer? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

amigo-2k
08-20-2005, 07:30 AM
I don't think you have a ecm problem. Sounds more like a wire shorting out.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq61

kmathew
08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi - I have a 2002 Rodeo (4x4, 3.2l, automatic, AC, U.S. model) which has developed a very annoying problem. About 2 months ago the engine began to cut out momentarily when a hard bump was hit. Since I live in Ethiopia, I hit bumps quite often. The problem has gotten worse as time goes on and it also seems to get worse as the engine heats up, i.e., when I do a lot of short trips. Generally, the engine does not cut completely out, but the Transmission, Check Engine, and Cruise Control lights come on momentarily and the engine misses. It is worse under load, say going up hill. Occassionaly the engine will cut out completely and I will need to restart it, which it does immediately. When not doing this the truck runs fine. This problem does not generate any P codes.

After checking all the connections I could find, I concluded that it was most likely that the PCM circuit board had developed a micro-crack which widen as the board warmed up and would cause a momentary short when bumped hard enough. I ordered a replacement PCM from a U.S. dealer which arrived last week. Unfortunately, when I opened the box I found a sticker on the PCM telling me that the unit needed to be programmed prior to installing it in the vehicle. Neither my Haynes manual or the dealer thought to mention this minor detail.

Bottom line is that I am now sitting here in Ethiopia with a new PCM which I can't use. Is it possible to perform this programming oneself, or will I need to send the unit back to an Izuzu dealer in the U.S.? If I do need to send it back, is there anything special I need to tell the dealer? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

I would check all wiring harness plugs under hood. If your hitting a lot of bumps you could have knocked one loose. I'm not familiar with the harnesses on that model year but my 92 has several molex type plugs on the passenger side fender well.

Also, If Your Tranny light check engine light and cruise control light comes on when you hit a bump I would start checking the harness where those sensors start and especially where they come togeather. There may be a commom plug where those three items hook into the main wiring harness.

If you have messed with the harness that hooks into the PCM You might want to check the pins on the connectors to see if any of them are bent or not seated all the way into the connector. Sometimes this problem can occur from the factory. You may have an intermittent connection there.

Good luck,

kmathew

Add your comment to this topic!