Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Dying at Idle

mcwilbe
08-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Hopefully someone can help me out. I've just bought an '89 Century and while just about everything still works on the old girl, the car stalls out just about every time I come to a stop-sign or light. Admitedly, the re-starts in a jiffy when she dies but is there some thing I can do to fix this issue? Last note: if I drive her for awhile (approx 15 minutes to work) the stalls become no-exsistent. Wierd!!??!!

imidazol97
08-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Hopefully someone can help me out. I've just bought an '89 Century and while just about everything still works on the old girl, the car stalls out just about every time I come to a stop-sign or light. Admitedly, the re-starts in a jiffy when she dies but is there some thing I can do to fix this issue? Last note: if I drive her for awhile (approx 15 minutes to work) the stalls become no-exsistent. Wierd!!??!!

Might not be the right track but if you keep your foot slightly on the gas while stopping does it still stall? I'm thinking it could be a sticky IAC, idle air control motor. Had trouble with that when I had an 89 Century. And it had a new PROM put in about 50K because they updated the mixtures for the computer settings.

Add your comment to this topic!