Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Century - - $600 for a condensor???

jetcitywoman
08-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Can this be right?

This past Monday I went in for my reg scheduled LOF, and the next day my a/c is blowing hot air. When I opened the hood to check the fuses, I noticed an oily, orange-ish colored substance spewed all over the battery, fuse box, belts and fire wall. I assumed it was freon. Took it in today, and they said the condensor is fried and want a little more than 600 bucks to replace it. This seemed extremely high to me, so if anyone has had this replaced before, let me know if this is an average or above average estimate.
Thanks!

mcwilbe
08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Can this be right?

This past Monday I went in for my reg scheduled LOF, and the next day my a/c is blowing hot air. When I opened the hood to check the fuses, I noticed an oily, orange-ish colored substance spewed all over the battery, fuse box, belts and fire wall. I assumed it was freon. Took it in today, and they said the condensor is fried and want a little more than 600 bucks to replace it. This seemed extremely high to me, so if anyone has had this replaced before, let me know if this is an average or above average estimate.
Thanks!

Jet,
Yeah, just got mine replaced the other day in my Van and yes, it does cost about that. Additionally, that price is usually before tax/labor, so add some more to that. sorry

Flatrater
08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
The condensor costs $220.01 plus about 40 dollars in R134a which leaves the rest in labor. If you want you can replace the condensor on your own and take it to almost any shop to have the system recovered and recharged that way you spend at the most 300 dollars to fix it.

Add your comment to this topic!