Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electric system problem...

awarner20
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Hello,

95 monte carlo, auto, 150,000

For the last couple of months there has been a problem with my electric system. When driving with the radio on, whenever I used my blinker or put the window up, the radio would go out and a buzzing noise would take over coming through the speakers. Last night while driving my headlights flickered on and off, my tachometer and speedometer, went from extreme left to the extreme right, and continued while I was driving (at this point I was just trying to get home). I pulled into a gas station and the engine died. I sat for a couple minutes and turned the key...nothing, no click, nothing. I wiggled the gear shift (automatic) and the streeing wheel and turned the key again....the engine started...I was able to make it home with the same lights/speedometer symptoms. Does anyone have a quick answer as to what might cause these symptoms? The reason I am here is because I just had $530 worth of work done for a strut assembly repl. and I don't want to have to take it in again if it's something I may be able to try myself. I thank you all in advance for any help you might offer.

Sincerely,

awarner20

awarner20
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Hello again Everyone,

I have not yet found a solution to this problem with my electrical system. (I haven't been able to afford to take it in). I did see some posts elsewhere that suggests that these symptoms (especially the radio buzzing) may be caused by a bad alternator....Pease...does anyone have any thoughts on this????

p.s. I've been riding my bike to work for the last two weeks...about 6 miles...of course, if I fix my car, I'll probably keep doing the bike thing until the snow flies...can't afford the gas!! :)

corning_d3
09-02-2005, 01:50 AM
I'd almost say 100% positive on the alternator, BUT.. you said it started back? Sounds more like a bad electrical connection. check the starter wires, alternator wires, and power and ground on the battery. Other than that, I'm stumped...

awarner20
09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Corning d3,

I will check all the connections the connections this weekend. It all started about three months ago with the radio intermittenly playing a buzzing noise instead of music. This would happen for about 10-20 seconds, then a pop, then back to music (or NPR in my case). The radio had a broken cassette player when i bought the car used in January '05, so I simply stopped using the radio figuring it was just bad.

I'll check those connections and see if I can find something loose. If not, I'll replace the alternator and post back next week. Thanks for your advice!

Adam

corning_d3
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Also you may want to check the ground wire where it connects to the engine. If it looses ground there, it will find an alternate path to ground, sometimes being wheel bearings. Hope ya find your problem.
Matt

Add your comment to this topic!