Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya PS Spray Paints?

Phreak
08-19-2005, 06:28 AM
I still have a can of Tamiya PS-16 (for polycarbonate) laying around that would suit the WRX STi that I'm currently building well. Does this type of spray interfere/react with the Tamiya primer and the Tamiya TS-13 clear or can I just use it like any other TS spray paint?

Couldn't find this anywhere on the forum, as PS is under the minimum word length :rolleyes:

Thanks!

SteveK2003
08-19-2005, 07:06 AM
PS is polycarbonate spray paint. It doesn't react well with plastic, if it sticks at all, and will dry to at best a semigloss finish. It is specially formulated to stick to flexible Lexan.

Your best bet is to use 'real' model paint, and not take a chance on that stuff.

MikeWz
08-19-2005, 09:31 AM
You're lucky if you get even a semi-gloss out of it. It is meant to be used on the inside of the polycarb bodies so it can use the plastic to make it look glossy

Phreak
08-28-2005, 06:12 AM
What if I primer the body, then spray the PS and finally some TS13 clearcoats? Will it shine then or will it still be dull?

mickbench
08-28-2005, 06:58 AM
I really would just go and buy some plastic model spray as I'm not sure of the PS spray will react well with the TS Clear.

Perhaps someone has done this before but I think it could craze..

blubaja
08-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I sprayed the PS colorshifts on the metal rsx kit I have. It stuck ok but the finish came out flat. I tired a few clears, but they went flat too...so..I dunno. Try a test piece 1st. Find a right clear.

Frank X.

Phreak
08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Alright, I'll try a piece then. Maybe it'll work out :)

Add your comment to this topic!