Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying 94 Camry. Worth it, any problems?

noemkat
08-19-2005, 06:10 AM
My husband and I are thinking of buying a friend's 94 Camry for $2000. It has 94K miles on it and has been well taken care of. From all I'm seeing it looks like a good deal but has anyone had any major problems with this model and year we should be aware of? Thanks

gator2764
08-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a 95 4 cyl with 192K on it and have had no major problems, just regular maint. 2K sounds pretty good with that low mileage. This car has been extremely reliable and still runs like the day we bought it new.

Strider327
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
GET IT, I had a 94 LE 5sfe. It was my most reliable car I've ever had! Does it have all disc brakes by any chance? Mine did. If it does then that's a plus.

quincyguy
08-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Mine is cookin' along nicely at 160K, with standard maintenance.
32 mpg hiway, 25-27 local

GSS123
08-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Buy it.

We have a 1994 XLE that my daughters use. Their idea of maintenance is to check the gas gauge and drive until the tanks empty. The car just keeps on running.

Plan on the electric rear windows and rear door loocks to stop working. They all do. Toyota's idea of wiring from front to back allows electric wires to work harden the short out. If you search this forum you will see numerous post about rear windows and electric door locks no longer working. Actually the locks still work put only by manual means.

Both are expensive to fix. Mainly in time required.

ice745
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I personally have a 94' Toyota Camry right now. Its the 4 cyl 2.2 L, LE version. It doesn't have 4 disc brakes, but it still breaks really well. I had that problem with my rear window failed. When you open the drivers door on most cars you'll see a black hose looking thing. That is actually where the wires pass through. From opening and closing the door many times (over time) the wires can get thinned and snap. It is expensice IF you bring it to a mechanic, because they WILL tell you you need to replace they power window regulator/motor. NO, it is most likely the wires in there, it took me about an hour and a half to find and fix the problem. If you know anybody handy with cars and electronics, have them fix it instead of a mechanic. You don't even need to run a new wire, you just add another small piece and splice it in, (kind of like grafting a vein in a patient at a hospital). Its about 50 cents of parts as opposed to what the dealers will tell you (motor and such to be $300..in parts, then labor, pshh). The other place they usually break is similar, but in the 'hose' for the door that has the window. Enough of the bad news, time for good. The seats are VERY comfy, I can fall asleep in it (which may not be a good thing, lol). The engine is great (you may notice the car may seem to shake at red lights if in drive, this is normal on the 4 cyls and should cause no worry, it is barely noticeable and just putting it into neutral during the redlight will alleviate the problem, just remember to put it back in drive before you go; shifting between neutral and drive does not require you to press the button on the shifter, so don't worry about accidently shifting into R or 2). I have had no major problems with the car at all. The tires are not commonly stocked in most tire places, so you may have to wait a few days for them to come in if you ever run a nail or something. The body of the car is based off of the luxury Lexus E300, and the engine is the same used in Celicas (a Toyota sports car), it doesn't go NASCAR fast, but you can get really good acceleration compared to most stock cars. But for $2000 it is a great deal! As long as you are sure there is nothing wrong with the engine from mistreatment. I paid $5000 for mine, and I do not regret it in any way at all. My families other cars they bought used (Buick Century, and Dodge Neon) have had so many major fixes (head gaskets, oil pumps, water pumps, yada yada) in that time nothing (knock on wood) has happened major to my car. If you treat the car right, it'll treat you right, its one of those cars you can consider a companion. I get about 18 to 21 mpg (all city driving, no highway), at first it was only a miserable 15 mpg city, but that is when I had an exhaust leak (which can trick the O2 sensors which can make it use too much gas), since then I did a routine fuel filter replacement and used "Redline Fuel System Cleaner" and now its about 18 to 21 mpg (city). Don't be alarmed about the exhaust leak, I caused it myself when I bottomed out on a bumpy sandy trail somewhere (I shouldn't have brough a Sedan back there). Its really hard to bottom out this car, it has a nice height off the road, I just hit a like 1' high bump, which was only about 1' wide so the car couldn't smooth over it (I'm lucky I didn't get stuck teetering over it, lol).

Brian R.
08-23-2005, 01:49 AM
If the maintenance has been done as recommended, the car will last until the body rusts out.

I have never had a problem getting tires for mine - same day.

survivor40
03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
I have a 94 XLE bought it with 180,000 for $2000. Besides front rotors , new tires, and routine fluid changes I have never had a problem. I recently took it to see my mom and dad in michigan I live in california after the trip the odometer now reads 237,000 miles and she just purrs , I would drive this car anywhere. The car is so beautiful so clean so quiet many passengers think it is a newer car. If and whenever this motor dies I will just plop in a new one. I'm only 40 and this car will surely outlive me. Shes my baby.

InstallTech
03-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Got a 93 Camry 4 cyl myself with 140,000 on it. Never had any major problems and I absolutely *love* the car. I definately recommend getting the car.

popeye08
03-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Even though the car is reliable, you may need to put several hundreds bucks on it to change the timing belt and water pump at this milage as soos as you get it (It doesn't seem they have change them at this price)

Add your comment to this topic!