Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 blazer tranny leaking

1987blazerguy
08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
i have a 1987 blazer 4 wd 2.8L The problem is its leaking from where the engine and tranny meet. i dont know if its just the gasket or if its something worse. any help would be appreciated. i put fl;uid in and everytime it just pours right out

wolfox
08-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Are you positive it's tranny fluid and not Engine oil? The rear mean seal sometimes goes, making for an oily mess and drips in the garage when parked overnight.

BlazerLT
08-18-2005, 10:11 PM
is the oil red or brown leaking from that spot?

blazes9395
08-18-2005, 10:29 PM
i put fl;uid in and everytime it just pours right out

If he keeps putting tranny fluid becasue its low all the time...its his tranny fluid. These earlier 700R4 trannies had a problem with blowing the front seals, because of the oil return path being to small behind the seal. Pressure builds behind the front seal and eventually will blow it out causing exactly what you are describing. The recommended method is to fix the restricing return hole by enlarging it, but you could just put a good front seal in and it should do the job.

BlazerLT
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
If he keeps putting tranny fluid becasue its low all the time...its his tranny fluid. These earlier 700R4 trannies had a problem with blowing the front seals, because of the oil return path being to small behind the seal. Pressure builds behind the front seal and eventually will blow it out causing exactly what you are describing. The recommended method is to fix the restricing return hole by enlarging it, but you could just put a good front seal in and it should do the job.

Please stop assuming that.

And I didn't ask you, I asked the thread starter.

1987blazerguy
08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
im very sure its tranny fluid not motor oil. would a chiltons manual tell me how how to fix that front seal?

blazes9395
08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
The Chiltons manual will give you a brief description. Basically transmission has to come out, pull the torque convertor, and your seal is there. You have to easily and cautiously pull the seal out, being careful not to scratch or nick the stator shaft. After you get the seal out, throw on a new seal, make sure its square and not in crooked in the bore and your ready to reassemble. Make sure though, you get a good replacement seal.

1987blazerguy
08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
thanks ill try it and see if it works

Add your comment to this topic!