Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buick L36 help ( from '97 Olds 88 post )

muledriver
08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
(Post #8)
First, thank you all for the information, second, sadly, I have a Buick L36 engine contained in a 1998 Lumina LTZ vin K. I also feel that my local dealers shop borders on criminal. So much for feelings.

This info will help tremendously in my current project of rehabilitating this car ( my wife's daily driver ) which has not been driven, except into the garage for the past 3+ weeks.......things are getting a little tense around here.

It has 72,000 on it, she had called me from her office, said her low coolant light had come on. I went down & added a quart of H2O to the overflow, started & warmed it. Every thing OK. Left for 3 day trip, get call 2nd night at motel, light came back on & she took it to dealer and was given the following assessment :

leaks aren't bad - need to be fixed
2 minor leaks
waterpump could go anytime
lower intake gasket just starting to leak
level sensor bad = $210
waterpump = $300
lower intake = warp = $1000 not warped = $650

When I picked up the car I figured I would pay for the diagnosis ( bad news ), but, there was no charge or paper work. Obviously the dealer is covering GM's lack of responsibility for poorly engineered components and protecting their interests.

Let's see , car value = $3000 - $1600 m/l if fixed at dealer = park it & I'll fix it.

From what I've read on this subject, here & elsewhere, it seems that I shouldn't have to pull the lower intake manifold at all, but only repair or replace the upper intake manifold, which brings me to the following questions on the options of repair. ( before I rip it apart )

GM# 24508923 lower intake = $224 +/-
GM# 12537197 lower intake gasket = $24 +/-
Fel Pro# MS 95809-1 = $40 +/-

Utilize the GM redesigned ( May 2004 ) upper intake manifold and gasket kits ;

GM# 89017272 upper intake manifold kit includes: upper intake manifold & throttle body mounting studs = $104 +/- ( this supercedes GM# 17113136 = $
GM# 89017554 upper intake gasket kit includes: upper to lower intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket and PCV draft tube = $28 +/-
GM# 89017274 PCV kit includes: PCV valve, PCV valve cover, O-ring seals and PCV spring = $15 +/-

or

Dorman / OE solutions upper intake manifold # 615-180 = $130 +/-
Fel Pro # MS95812 plenum gasket set = $38 +/-

or

The repair in the above thread. Got any more of the repair kits left? What gaskets did you use for assembly after th EGR tube repair?

This site lists a repair kit, but no retail sales, anyone know where to buy this kit retail? http://www.fmsiinc.com/manifold/default.htm

Thanks again,
Rick R.

Add your comment to this topic!