Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rust on tranny dipstick.

Officer Redneck
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I just did an oil change on my blazer and when I checked the tranny fluid, there was a fair amount of rust on the dipstick and some in the fluid itself. Hopefully the rust in the fluid is from the dipstick being pulled out but with my luck, I wouldn't bet on it. I know i'll be in for a tranny flush and filter now but are there any vent tubes or pressure valves I can check to attempt to find the culprit?

BlazerLT
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
You will have to replace the tranny dipstick and tube with a revised one which is resistant to rusting.

Mine is the same way.

Officer Redneck
08-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Cool thanks. The guy at a shop in town said that I would need a flush and filter change and to replace all the hoses and any vent tubes on the tranny. Funny he didn't say anything about the dipstick and tube. :headshake

blazes9395
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Rust on the dipstick is not a good thing. It means water is getting in there somehow, and it has to be fixed and flushed right away. The tell tale sign of water getting into the tranny is a rusty dipstick. Just like the guy said flush and fill, and cross your fingers it didn't do any damage. My tranny that I just rebuilt was damaged by water at some point and destroyed the friction material on the clutch packs. Common area of waer getting in is the oil cooler on the rad. Sometimes you can see it because the trannt fluid mixes with the anitfreeze, other times it can be a pinhole leak, or hairlines cracks at the joint of the cooler internally. If you need more information, take a look at this article from Raybestos powertrain. I used thier new clutch pack material for my new rebuild and came acroos this.
http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/pdf/tech_bulletins/tech_tip_water.html

BlazerLT
08-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Rust on the dipstick is not a good thing. It means water is getting in there somehow, and it has to be fixed and flushed right away. The tell tale sign of water getting into the tranny is a rusty dipstick. Just like the guy said flush and fill, and cross your fingers it didn't do any damage. My tranny that I just rebuilt was damaged by water at some point and destroyed the friction material on the clutch packs. Common area of waer getting in is the oil cooler on the rad. Sometimes you can see it because the trannt fluid mixes with the anitfreeze, other times it can be a pinhole leak, or hairlines cracks at the joint of the cooler internally. If you need more information, take a look at this article from Raybestos powertrain. I used thier new clutch pack material for my new rebuild and came acroos this.
http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/pdf/tech_bulletins/tech_tip_water.html

There will always be a little moisture when there is heat.

The moisture enters through the seal in the top of the filler tube seeing is will rust and thus not allowing the seat to seal properly.

blazes9395
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
There will always be a little moisture when there is heat.

The moisture enters through the seal in the top of the filler tube seeing is will rust and thus not allowing the seat to seal properly.

Moisture is not good for the tranny period. The tranny and its components are designed so no moisture gets in. If you have moisture, you have a problem. If your seal is not sealing properly like you state, then it needs to be corrected to stop the moisture.

BlazerLT
08-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Moisture is not good for the tranny period. The tranny and its components are designed so no moisture gets in. If you have moisture, you have a problem. If your seal is not sealing properly like you state, then it needs to be corrected to stop the moisture.

okokok......

A little moisture is not a problem.

It is a normal part of the heating and cooling phases the system goes through.

There is moisture in your engine as well, but not enough to cause problems. This applies to transmissions as well.

The problem is that the metal the tube and dipstick are made of are not corrosion resistant.

blazes9395
08-19-2005, 07:58 PM
okokok......

A little moisture is not a problem.

It is a normal part of the heating and cooling phases the system goes through.

There is moisture in your engine as well, but not enough to cause problems. This applies to transmissions as well.

The problem is that the metal the tube and dipstick are made of are not corrosion resistant.

Alright, alright,

Your opinion is noted.

Officer Redneck
08-21-2005, 08:26 AM
I contacted my local Chevy dealer and bought a new dipstick and tube for $27.00. The parts should be here on tuesday. I plan on putting the new parts on then and then spending the $120.00 for the tranny flush and filter change. I have heard from different people over the years that flushing the tranny on a high millage truck can sometimes cause problems but I hope this isn't the case here. At this time I'm not having any slippage problems with the tranny and if I do after the flush, i'm gonna have to kick the hell outta somebody.

blazee
08-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Check out the post by GM_trannyman:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=441787

blazes9395
08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I couldn't agree with GM_trannyman any more...

Officer Redneck
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, i've said it before and i'll say it again. I would like to find the guy who designed these engines and kick him in the cookies!!! I attempted to change the tranny dipstick and tube myself only to find it's immpossible. The damn things are made so close, that to change the parts you have to unbolt the tranny and drop it a few inches. It's gonna cost me $294.68 to have the parts installed and another $120.00 to do the flush and fill. Thats a grand total of $414.68. Thats more than I spent on my last truck in 4 1/2 years. And to top it all off, my ABS is starting to act up and my A.C. started making noise. If i'm being feed a line about my tranny dipstick and tube install please let me know because i'm about to lose my damn mind!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BlazerLT
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Take it to a different shop.

Officer Redneck
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Take it to a different shop why? Because of the price or because they said you had to pull the tranny to change the dipstick and tube? If someone nows a better way to do this without pulling the tranny, FOR GODS SAKE TELL ME!!

BlazerLT
08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
They only quoted me CDN$150 to change mine.

Tak the truck to another shop for a quote and for god's sake don't mention to them how hard it is. You are just setting them up for a big bill.

Officer Redneck
09-02-2005, 09:40 AM
No other shop in the area will touch it. They all said to just flush it and change the filter every couple of months and eventually you'll get all the rust out of the tranny. THIS IS WHY I DO MOST OF MY OWN WORK!!! If anyone knows if you really need to pull the tranny to do this job please let me know. :banghead:

blazes9395
09-02-2005, 12:15 PM
You don't need to remove the tranny, but I don't why you want to change it. If it doesn't leak, then its sealed an d not letting in moisture. The only problem where moisture can get in is the o-ring on top of the dip stick. If its torn, worn out, ore not there, then that needs to be replaced. BUT, to answer your previous question, no tranny doesn't need to com out, but its still hard none the less. You have to drop the rear cross member on the tranny, remove the brace on the passenger side of the transmission(2 bolts, one on the bell housing, through the brace, the other at the back of the transmission) Remove the brace, pull the tube out(you will have to angle the tranny and engine up). Then everything is reverse of removal. This will take a while to do, but I have done it beforre, and it works. I use this method to replace the seal at the bottom of the dipstick.

BlazerLT
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
You don't need to remove the tranny, but I don't why you want to change it. If it doesn't leak, then its sealed an d not letting in moisture. The only problem where moisture can get in is the o-ring on top of the dip stick. If its torn, worn out, ore not there, then that needs to be replaced. BUT, to answer your previous question, no tranny doesn't need to com out, but its still hard none the less. You have to drop the rear cross member on the tranny, remove the brace on the passenger side of the transmission(2 bolts, one on the bell housing, through the brace, the other at the back of the transmission) Remove the brace, pull the tube out(you will have to angle the tranny and engine up). Then everything is reverse of removal. This will take a while to do, but I have done it beforre, and it works. I use this method to replace the seal at the bottom of the dipstick.

I disagree, with rust on the dipstick and the tube, everytime you remove the dipstick to check the level you are going to be flaking rust off which will go down into the pan. This is not safe at all.

blazes9395
09-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I disagree, with rust on the dipstick and the tube, everytime you remove the dipstick to check the level you are going to be flaking rust off which will go down into the pan. This is not safe at all.

If you have rusting that bad, where its flaking off, then I 'm sorry to say, but your transmission is doomed....be prepared for a rebuild soon. You will usually not have that severe corrsion, but any corrision particles that come off will be picked up and filtered by the tranny filter.

BlazerLT
09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
If you have rusting that bad, where its flaking off, then I 'm sorry to say, but your transmission is doomed....be prepared for a rebuild soon. You will usually not have that severe corrsion, but any corrision particles that come off will be picked up and filtered by the tranny filter.

Transmission is doomed because of rust on the dipstick tube?

Just stop posting bullcrap would ya. I have to have mine replaced and the tranny has 135,000 miles+ and is not DOOMED.

BlazerLT
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
No other shop in the area will touch it. They all said to just flush it and change the filter every couple of months and eventually you'll get all the rust out of the tranny. THIS IS WHY I DO MOST OF MY OWN WORK!!! If anyone knows if you really need to pull the tranny to do this job please let me know. :banghead:

The rust won't get into the tranny. The filter will stop it. doing continual flushes is not a cure. The rust will just cme back.

Fix the tube and dipstick, completely change the tranny fluid and enjoy driving.

First change the tube and stick, then flush the tranny, then change the filter and lost fluid lost while dropping the pan.

blazes9395
09-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Transmission is doomed because of rust on the dipstick tube?

Just stop posting bullcrap would ya. I have to have mine replaced and the tranny has 135,000 miles+ and is not DOOMED.

Bullcrap?
Why don't you get your facts straight instead of coming on here, and saying crap you don't even know yourself. Rust flakes?..if you have rust flaking off your tube, bud, you must really be neglecting your tranny...it should never get to the point of "flakeing" Why is it that first you said little moisture is not a problem and not to worry, yet your out flushing fluids and changing your tube and dipstick the next day?...at a tune of what $150.00 if I'm not mistaken...? And how would know what to look for...have you ever done any tranny work yourself, opened it up, tore it apart to see, for that matter, have you ever tore apart an engine, a differenttial....anything? Why is it that you preach all this stuff yet when someone comes on here says something different, maybe from experience of them actully doing the work you dismiss..and the kicker is you yourself only have knowledge that you have gained from on here. I read your arrogance towards people its sad, but trust me some probably have more knowledge and experience then you. I don't claim to be always right, or to know everything, but I don't stand for people like you. Why don't you give it a break.

BlazerLT
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Bullcrap?
Why don't you get your facts straight instead of coming on here, and saying crap you don't even know yourself.

Practise what you preach.

Rust flakes?..if you have rust flaking off your tube, bud, you must really be neglecting your tranny...it should never get to the point of "flakeing" Why is it that first you said little moisture is not a problem and not to worry, yet your out flushing fluids and changing your tube and dipstick the next day?...at a tune of what $150.00 if I'm not mistaken...?

Wake up and know what you are talking about. The problem is with the seal on the dipstick and tube and the wrong metal they used to make them.

Here, read for yourself:

http://www.tweaknews.net/img/rustytransdipstickTSB.pdf

Maybe you should actually have some knowledge before you start saying that the rusting is coming from lack of maintanence right? Thought so.......

And I did that because I had the money and I needed to change my transmission fluid. I haven't replaced the tube or dipstick yet. I said I got a QUOTE for $150. The fluid was old and had to be replaced, and had nothing to do with the dipstick level so you can bury that ridiculous baseless arguement.

And how would know what to look for...have you ever done any tranny work yourself, opened it up, tore it apart to see, for that matter, have you ever tore apart an engine, a differenttial....anything? Why is it that you preach all this stuff yet when someone comes on here says something different, maybe from experience of them actully doing the work you dismiss..and the kicker is you yourself only have knowledge that you have gained from on here.

:lol: Look, you saying the transmission is doomed because the actual dipstick and tube are rusty is just a sign that you don't know what you are talking about.

OMG, you got rust flakes on your dipstick, YOU ARE SO DOOMED. I learned everything I know from research and practise on my own truck. If you have a problem with that, go filter trough my 10,000+ posts to find out where I did something wrong.

I read your arrogance towards people its sad, but trust me some probably have more knowledge and experience then you. I don't claim to be always right, or to know everything, but I don't stand for people like you. Why don't you give it a break.

Why don't you just NOT post when you don't know what you are talking about. There is a TSB out on the trans dipstick and tube and you are telling people that their tranny is shot.

Mine has a rusty dipstick and tube, mine has 135,000+ miles and is not DOOMED. So stop scaring people and get some fact to backup your blind opinion.

I am not arrogant, I am INTOLERANT of people spreading their BASELESS opinion with no KNOWLEDGE.

OMG, YOUR TRANNY IS GOING TO BLOW!!! :LOL:

redneck, pm me is you want anymore info or help.

I'm closing this thread before anymore people through in more confusing and wrong information.

Add your comment to this topic!