Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket intake problem

InnerDragon103
08-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey, i got a 94 altima and i tried installing an aftermarket short ram intake onto the car.. soon i realized that i can't attach the aftermarket intake body to the big hunk of metal that the MAF is attached to, because the two have different diameters, and my kit came with a straight rubber coupler, not one that fits the two different pipe sizes together.. what have you all tried to remedy this, and has anyone actually remedied this? I easily attached the cone with the MAF adapter, but i dont want to use the OEM rubber intake pipe, i want to use the aluminum one..

Skyliner25
08-20-2005, 03:19 PM
lol, you know what's funny is I was just about to post a question about this today. About your first problem in attaching the aluminum pipe to the MAFS. I was able to attach it with the blue plastic tubing that came with my intake to prevent air loss. I just tightend it really tight.

The problem I have is that my blue rubber pipes don't attach to where they are suppose to go they are too small and once everything is connected the car doesn't work with the intake installed. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it is my MAFS or TPS or some other stupid thing that makes me wish I got a Civic instead because I even installed the intake with the market rubber and it would just idle horribly and then shut off.

If anyone can help him could they help me as well...

JustSayGo
08-20-2005, 08:53 PM
I have a little difficulty understanding exactly what you are writting. You both wish the kit had a bell-mouth hose that would fit correctly onto different diameters of the throttle body and the MAFS? And there are also different diameters from the MAFS to the intake pipe? The idle and dieing sound like there is an air leak between the MAFS and the throttle body. If the hoses don't fit right there will be more problems ahead. Some kits sold for Hondas don't fit Hondas either. Send an email to the seller and manufacturer. They must have heard of the problem before. Measure the diameters. There may be a hose available. Bell-mouth hoses cost a lot more than strait hose. Could be close to what you paid for the kit. Have you ever run across an adapter listed on Ebay? I believe I saw something but didn't check out what it was supposed to do.

InnerDragon103
08-21-2005, 06:35 PM
The kit, like all other kits ive seen for a 93-97 altima, came with two couplers; a bell shaped one, and a straight one. the bell shaped one connects the aftermarket aluminum pipe to the engine, then a straight coupler is also provided.. The PROBLEM is that they should have provided ANOTHER bell shaped coupler to attach the aluminum piping to the MAFS.. the MAFS diameter is much smaller than the aluminum piping diamter... have you seen any such bell mouth adapter for this purpose?

JustSayGo
08-23-2005, 02:48 AM
I think the listing I scrolled past described a piece that goes onto the MAFS and makes the diameter the same as the air pipe so that a strait hose fits both pieces. I didn't look real close at the listing.

http://search.ebay.com/Altima-Intake-adapter_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

JustSayGo
08-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Two more things that are cheap and can't hurt. Remove the throttle body. Clean the small passages with carb spray and replace the O-ring on the air bleed screw. The O-ring will be so hard it may be difficult to recognize. Use a new TB base gasket. They cost $1. Remove the PCV housing and valve and clean everything that may be restricted in the PCV system. Your engine should idle smoother with out surging.

InnerDragon103
08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
wait a flippin minute?! the adapter (the metal piece that's square shaped with four holes for mounting) is used for the MAFS to intake cone installation, OR what i think you are implying, for the MAFS to the intake PIPE :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

JustSayGo
08-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Sorry if it seemed I was implying something. Here are the words that go with the picture of the blue filter kit. They explain that the adapter will allow you to connect any 3" coupler hose, CAI, short ram, or air filter to your MAFS. Where did you guys get the super special deal that comes with out an adapter? Ask the seller to make the kit complete or refund your money including shipping. If they don't answer your email or tell you their policy requires that you pay for shipping, dispute the charge on your credit card. Then they will have to answer or you will be refunded. Buy one of the kits listed on ebay that has an adapter. I don't see any kits that do not have an adapter included.

INTAKE ADAPTER #2 & FILTER NISSAN 240SX SENTRA ALTIMA

Description

*****NO INSTRUCTION PROVIDED!! IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE INSTALLATION*****

A PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER IS RECOMMENDED!!

DESCRIPTION DETAIL

* THIS IS A INTAKE ADAPTER WITH FILTER
* THIS INTAKE ADAPTER ARE MAKE OF HIGH QUALITY LIGHT-WEIGHT POLISHED ALUMINUM
* THIS CAN HELP GET MORE MASS AIR FLOW AND CAN FILTRATE BETTER AIR FOR YOUR ENGINE
* THIS COMES IN A SET OF ADAPTER AND FILTER ( WASHABLE/ REUSABLE/ EXCHANGEABLE )
* THIS INTAKE ADAPTER SET COMES COMPLETE WITH ALL NECESSARY HARDWARE FOR A DIRECT FIT TO YOUR VEHICLE TO REPLACE YOUR FACTORY AIR BOX
* THIS WILL APPLY TO ANY COLD AIR OR SHORT RAM INTAKES
* EASY TO INSTALL WITH OUT ANY MODIFICATION
* WE HAVE DIFFERENT SIZES OF ADAPTER THAT FITS OVER 50 APPLICATIONS
* DIFFERENT SIZES OF ADAPTER WILL COMES WITH THE RIGHT SIZE OF FILTER FOR YOU VEHICLE

APPLICATIONS

88-94 NISSAN 240SX

91-94 NISSAN SENTRA

93-96 NISSAN ALTIMA

InnerDragon103
08-27-2005, 11:47 AM
all right, i got it all figured out! i went to home depot, and bought a rubber coupler (3" to 2"). This allows you to connect the aluminum piping's 3" opening to the MAFS's 2" opening, which was my problem. I'm sure others have come across this, so let me know if you want a pic of the setup.

Add your comment to this topic!