Page updated on 12-18-2017

2002 rpm drop at stop light and dies

tberding
08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
HELP
My 2002 Neon has an idle problem. When you pull up to a stop no matter how long the car has been running, the RPM's drop very low and it will rought idle and sometimes die. This does not happen when it is cold outside but as soon as it warms up to above 55 outside it starts happening. It will die with no warning and no lights come on. The dealership put in a copilot for a week and could find nothing. They suggested i run with the defrost on since this keeps the RPM's up. Since this uses too much gas i just watch the RPM's when at a stop light. I have found that if i move the steering wheel i can get the RPM's to jump up and idle smooth again. Any Suggestions????

joe92k1500
08-19-2005, 09:32 AM
My wife's 2002 auto neon used to do this. It would stop doing it in winter, but in summer, it would drop RPM while idling ( didnt die though) Over the winter i had the car in and they updated the PCM with new software. I havent seen the probelm since.

99 Neon R/T
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Have you looked into a new throttle position sensor?

tberding
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
My wife's 2002 auto neon used to do this. It would stop doing it in winter, but in summer, it would drop RPM while idling ( didnt die though) Over the winter i had the car in and they updated the PCM with new software. I havent seen the probelm since.

The dealership has updated both the PCM and the TCM maybe i should try a different dealership.

tberding
08-22-2005, 09:35 AM
TCM and PCM have both been updated by the dealership.

Add your comment to this topic!