Brakes Locking up Why?

Drova
08-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I got a 1996 Grand AM Se with 2.4L and when its cold or wet and the car has been sitting over night, next time the car is driven anywhere the back right tire will lock up when the brake is hardly touched at all, of course after driving a few min this will go away Any idea why this would happen, the drums and brake shoes have been replaced a few times still no help.

xeroinfinity
08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
have you tried flushing the brake system with new brake fluid? this might help, over time brake fluid breaks down and moisture builds in the brake lines due to hot and cold temps. but it 'could' be something like the master cylinder too. good luck

Ridenour
08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Another thing must possibly be one of the rear brake springs are corroding and locking up. Next time after it rains, you could try crawling underneath there and compare the break compenents capibilty of movement with that of the driver's side to determine if the spring or any other piece has siezed up from over-night rust / corrosion.

skibum1111
08-17-2005, 07:00 PM
A problem with the rear brakes that I ran into was the backing plate was worn causing the brakes to bind up. It seemed to do this after it rained and often first thing in the morning. To check the plate you have to remove the drum and inspect the friction surfaces where the shoes meet the plate, look for shiny spots and rust in the same area.

Chazman
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Brake fluid on the pads will also cause this - check for leaks at the wheel cylinders.

If this is the case, the fluid will soak in to the brake pads like a sponge - new pads required.

Drova
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
i dont think its anything to do with the Hydrolic brakes because if the hand break is pulled up slightly that wheel will do the samething, but only at morning after sitting for awhile or after rain, i know there is no leaks and the brake pads/drums are clean

xeroinfinity
08-18-2005, 10:13 AM
i guess i've seen this on cars that are not driven everyday or just short distances. think it was rust forming on part of drum and not all and when you first drive it sticks on the rust spot and grabs hardr and before the other side grabs, you might need new drums or get them turned. Hope this helps

Drova
08-19-2005, 08:29 AM
A week ago there was new drums and shoes put on the car, i'm thinking it could be backing plate

xeroinfinity
08-19-2005, 09:06 AM
it could be the backplate rubing the drums. still sounds like somethings not right on that side causing it to bind up and drag. were any other parts replaced? like the springs and clips inside the drum?

Drova
08-19-2005, 09:41 AM
The Cylinder was replaced and the springs that keep the breaks in place were, i'm not sure about anything else. I know a few people with this problem like with sunfires and cavaliers, they dont know what the problem is either

trixtaz
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
On my 99 I have the same type of 'phenomenon'.

After it rained or snowed overnight my brakes would become super sensitive (just have to touch them and get a hard stop) and they would also squal when you press them.

I beleive its just the beginning of rust forming on the rotors, and once you start using your pads, it rubs it away and your brakes begin functioning as normal.

Not that it only takes a couple of times of pressing the pedal down while driving to 'clean off' the rotor.

I doubt you have anything mechanically wrong with your car.

xeroinfinity
08-19-2005, 11:05 AM
The Cylinder was replaced and the springs that keep the breaks in place were, i'm not sure about anything else. I know a few people with this problem like with sunfires and cavaliers, they dont know what the problem is either

The Cylinder? the one thats grabing? You should replace BOTH cylinders at the same time. As with from Calipers they Both need replaced if one is bad. Most people do not replace both because of the cost, but they wont work properly or safely if this is ignored. thats what it is I'm sure. \,,/

tfrohliger
08-20-2005, 03:28 AM
my 95 Grand Am is doing the same thing but both rear wheels lock up and no front brakes. It happens after it has sat a while(a few hours) and/or its raining. and i can't get it to go away until i try to stop at a good speed20-30mph).but after it goes away i'm good for the day unless i let it sit again.i hope someone can help us with this.

40buickcoupe
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
My daughters 1996 grand am gt does the same thing. When you back up the rear of the car squats with very little brake force. There were a few times going forward the brake pedal was hard to push down. But your right after rain or in the morning the problem is there. Her car also has ABS. Some one told me it could be the small valve on the master cyclinder where the lins go in.
Im stumped
I hope someone has corrected the problem with a good fix
Thanks

nuwt
01-25-2006, 08:39 PM
If new brakes were just installed, it may be adjusted to tight.

tfrohliger
01-26-2006, 02:43 AM
I got my problem fixed but I'm still not sure what caused it. My drums were just a little ovaled or egg shaped. I just changed the drums and put new pads on while I was at it. I wish I know what caused that so I can make sure it doesn't happen again.

corning_d3
01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Setting the parking brake too tight.. Heat warpage.. Just a few things off the top of my head..

Add your comment to this topic!