Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reaction Times

QUICK_EG_B16A
08-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I was wondering what is a good reaction time? I took my car to LACR and my best was .815. It was my first time and had never practiced until that night. How can i practice reactin times to get better?

JekylandHyde
08-25-2005, 02:12 PM
An acceptable R/T to me is .2.
Anything under .19 is great IMO.
Regular racers can hit .0Xs frequently.

If you hit a .8, I suspect you were not leaving until you saw the green light. Try leaving on the 3rd yellow.

FikseGTS
12-03-2005, 05:01 PM
depends on if your one a pro tree or sportsman tree... but .815 wouldn't be that great on either.... if you were on a sportsman tree, which you probably were, as soon as you see the last yellow light, go for it...

chevytrucks92
12-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, that's pretty bad, but considering it was your first time then its not awful. This is of course assuming that .500 was a perfect light. Now if .000 was perfect, then an .815 is pretty bad.

You need to tell us what light you're leaving on so we can help ya improve. I'm assuming you're waiting to see the green light. You probably need to try going as soon as the bottem yellow comes on. If you plan on racing, you need to get down to the .5xxs (or .0xxs if .000 is perfect).

AWP9521
12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Agrees with all of the above, .819 is not that good on a .500 tree, and really snoozing on a .000 tree, definitely try leaving on the last yellow like so:

Yellow
Yellow
FLOOR IT!

Then see what the R/T comes out to. Also try to stage the same way for every run, personally I prefer inching in until the botton "stage" bulb just lights up.

chevytrucks92
12-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Then see what the R/T comes out to. Also try to stage the same way for every run, personally I prefer inching in until the botton "stage" bulb just lights up.

Totally agree. Def. the best way to stage. In fact, that's the only way to stage IMO to have any consistancy (both ET and RT).

A lot of people don't realize it, but how you stage does effect your ET. If you stage shallow, you'll run a better ET. If you stage deep, you'll be a hundredth or two slower.

So, you basically have to just pick a way to stage (shallow or deep) and do that everytime, and the easiest way IMO is to inch into the bottom stage light. Because if you don't stage the same every time, not only will your reaction be up and down, so will your ET.

JekylandHyde
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
All NHRA tracks should be 00.00 now regardless of sportsman or pro trees.

chevytrucks92
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah but they're not. My last race of the year was at an NHRA member track and .5000 is still perfect. It did go back to the ten thousandths place and it had LED lights in the tree, but .500 is still perfect.

I've been to two IHRA member tracks though where .000 was perfect.

DCarr511
04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I was wondering what is a good reaction time? I took my car to LACR and my best was .815. It was my first time and had never practiced until that night. How can i practice reactin times to get better?

LACR uses .500 still ... the only tracks that use .000 are the ones with LED lights.

That said ... anything over .600 ( on a .500 ) is slow. If you see Green ... your late, leave on the last amber .540 - .580 is probably average for a f/braked car

Add your comment to this topic!