Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Me Figure this Darned Thing Out, Please!

bf1049
08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a switch, or wire I may have knocked loose merely cleaning my dashboard? I have a '93 Wrangler that ran fine when I parked it to clean, but hasn't turned over since I wiped it down. Battery is good, with a full charge. Lights and buzzer come on when I turn the key on, and all accessories work, but nothing happens when key is turned...starter solenoid won't even click. I checked under the dash, and I don't see any obviously loose wires, so I'm kinda stuck. ALL I DID WAS ARMORALL THE DAMNED THING!

CanaMark
08-16-2005, 06:16 PM
hehehehe oh I feel your pain brutha. Might be a coincidence. I kinda doubt you did anything by cleaning, but you could have if you were not paying attention. I would check your starter. I had a problem exactly like yours while road-tripping up in Northern Alberta. Been cruising all day and pull into gas station, Filled it up. Started it up, nothing. Lights everything worked, but wouldnt turn over. Checked relays and fuses. I just waited 20 minutes for Tow Truck then started it up just for s%17s n giggles and BAM it turned and I was off again. However the same problem occured everytime I turned it off. I would have to wait 20 minutes to restart it. After I got home and it cooled down for a good day, it was fine.

Speaking about cleaning. I am cleaning my carpets, went to laudromat to clean the gunk/oil/dirt off. Smells fresh. I would hate to know what kind of things other people cleaned in laudromats. I even cleaned my oil rig gear in laundromats. Anyway I am switching my Heep seats over to 1988 Mustang seats, so I pulled the brackets off to swap em, and as I do that I am cleaning the whole tub.

It all smells like oranges. That new Windex Orange crap is alright and cheaper then Armor-All.

bf1049
08-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Buddy of mine reminded me that a lot of Jeep owners installed kill switches on the older Wranglers, with the round, peelable columns. He said it's possible that I tripped a kill switch that I wasn't aware of while wiping the bottom edge of the dash (I've only owned the Jeep since December). I haven't found any switch yet, but if anyone knows common locations where these switches were installed, please give someplace to start.

CanaMark
08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Just a switch, easy to find

Look around, mine had one

bf1049
09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
FOUND IT! Wasn't an aftermarket kill switch, after all. It was a factory installed security chip (looks like a printed circuit board with a small plastic tab on the edge, and plugs in under the left-center of the dash). Apparently it doesn't like the taste of Armorall, but it's feeling much better now...thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!