98 honda civic speedometer brocken

gianthobbit
08-16-2005, 12:31 AM
I bought this vechicle knowing that the speedometer does not work because it was such a good deal. It stays at 20 mph and never moves. Once in a while, like today it worked! I turn it off and back on and same problem comes back. Has anyone had a similiar problem? Is it a bad sensor or what, any input would be great.

P.S. Only mods to the engine is an cold air intake

siege911
08-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Yep, had the same problem exactly on my 98 civic ex... just replace the speedometer head... ask for it at a junkyard, I think you have to take out the gauge cluster and the odometer to do it. But, that's all I did and now mine works great!

gianthobbit
08-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, how much do you think it will cost for the speedometer head at a junk yard vs. buying one from a dealership? BTW anyone else have the same problem?

eckoman_pdx
08-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Well...considering you can usually find a whole new speedo assembly at a junkyard for like $135 max...it should be a lot cheaper to go the junkyard than at the dealership.

siege911
08-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah, we got just the speedo head at the junkyard for like 40 bucks i think... I honestly forget, but it wasn't outrageously expensive for something important like that.

kakwvu
04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry to dig up the old thread, but I'm out of ideas.

I own a 98 LX.. my car did the same thing. I let it go for a while. My transmission ended up going bad. I JUST got it changed @ a Honda shop (just got it put in, I had another one @ 59,000).

Problem? The speedometer is still intermittent. This is annoying that I spent almost $1000 total and the thing still doesn't work. The only weird thing about it is I can occassionally reset the tripmeter and the speedometer will act like its been kicked free and work for a few moments.

This is the first place that I've ever read about replacing a speedometer head. Would me resetting the tripmeter and the speedometer working (although for like 4 blocks) further solidify it as my problem too?

siege911
04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Yep, sounds like the same problem. Try the above solution, and it should workout. I don't know what resetting the tripmeter would do, but I know mine would intermittently work as well. Good luck.

Eskimo10
04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
I had the same problem, mine turned out to be a blown fuse. It was the speedsensor/alternator fuse was blown. check that. it may work, but don't quote me on it.

hondacivic2008
03-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I read another user's solution and after trying many things...YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS.

Look under the hood and find some wiring grouped under the intake. The wiring has been rubbing against a metal piece and this rubbing has caused the wires to be bare. The short is hurting the operating of your speedometer. With some electrical tape and some effort you can fix this in 20 minutes. Wrap the electrical tape around the wires where the wires are rubbing against the metal piece. It will be obvious if you get your elbows a little dirty.

Otherwise you can try and replace the VSS and Speedometer only to be out hundreds of dollars and still have a faulty speedometer.

I did it tonight, and after months of anguish I fixed my 98 civic.

trek1000
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a 98 Civic EX with 200K miles. The speedometer has always worked but the odometers (both trip and regular) are intermittent. The odometers are mechanical. I have noticed the trip odometer (.1 mile resolution) not moving while driving over a mile. Sometimes it will take 3 miles after reseting before it starts incrementing. My "appareant" mileage (miles/gallons) went from 35/36 down to 28 4 months ago. This would happen if the odometer "stuck" a few times.
Isn't the speedometer integral to the odometer? How can the speedometer work but not the oddometer? Do I still replace the speedometer head or is it something else?
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!