Leaking oil under turbo booster

pbkayak1
08-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I know this is probably an easy one to answer but have to get a few inputs on this one.

Just bought a 1996 850 turbo sportwagon with 137,000 miles. This car was obviosly well maintained and apparenty not abused. Very very clean. Now I work at a car detailing shop and do all the technical work, install remote starts, troubleshoot electricals and mechanicals, restore car interiors, etc. I got this car last week, took it to a volvo dealer for check over and one of the things that came back was how dry the engine was, not the least bit of oil or grime on it. Very clean! Drive for a week and suddenly I'm getting oil dripping from the drivers side. I checked under the car, looking up near the driveshaft seal, the whole area is wet with fresh oil. Mind you there is no dirt, its all clean aluminum with a coat of oil. This is not transmission fluid, its fresh engine oil. So the driveshaft seal could be counted out.

What I'm wondering is there a oil feed to the turbo that could be leaking? The turbo is directly above the trainy gearbox and most of all the area is damp with oil from under the turbo straight down past the driveshaftand covering the bottom of the transmission. The oilpan is still dry though.

nismo4banger
09-24-2005, 10:19 AM
This is a very common problem with the 850 turbos. It was one of the first things i did when i got my turbo s70. Turbo return line seal and o-ring. It's an easy do-it-yourself fix and it's cheap. I hope this helps.

http://ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=471&NodeID=179&RootID=629

nismo4banger
09-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Here are some easy directions to follow for the repair.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/turborepairline.php

pbkayak1
09-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Thankyou for the clairification. Two weeks ago it turns out it was the main rear crank seal. Ouch, $940 later, no leak.

nismo4banger
09-25-2005, 02:50 AM
the rear main seal is also common. I'm gonna replace mine while i have the subframe off. It's leaking a little bit. It's not bad, but it'll save me a headache in the future.

Add your comment to this topic!