Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newb who needs help...Audiobahn 18

Blazin20s
08-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Alright guys im wanting to get something different that my 2 mtx 12s that i got now....i was thinking on something pretty different..maybe just a single 18?

about the only one in my price range (about 800$ish for sub and amp if possible) is a Audiobahn AW1805Q (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AUDIOBAHN-AW1805Q-2400-WATT-18-INCH-SUB-SUBWOOFER_W0QQitemZ5798781726QQcategoryZ18805QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (cheapest place i could find it was on ebay) ...Is that worth getting?

BUT MY main question is what kind of amp would be a good setup for that 18 and fit under my budget of 800-900$ for both sub an amp

I have a 97 blazer...but i think i can get a box built from a local place

Or is there any other 18 that i could fit in that price range with an amp

:eek7: WELL sry for being a such a dumb newb..but im learning so back off

Any help would be great!!!!!

mark

L|_|da
08-16-2005, 07:16 AM
first audiobahn blows, second the amp depends on the sub and how much power it can take. so first we need to find a sub read around the forums and you get a general idea of whats good. the newbie thread has some good stuff, like a company ratings list.

AndonD454
08-16-2005, 12:16 PM
RE SX 18 is in your price range.. so is an MT haha

Blazin20s
08-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Hmm....so its a no-go with that audiobahn sub?...all the serches i did i didnt see in re 18s or mt or watever that is

more help plzz!

mark

AndonD454
08-16-2005, 10:41 PM
www.reaudio.com .. check out the SX im sure thatll be plenty of bass for ya

Blazin20s
08-16-2005, 11:01 PM
THANKS....so thats better than the audiobahn i guess....u kno any where i can get those re's?...besides their own website...seems that ebay doesnt have any

PaulD
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
companies like RE are direct sell to the public ....... ebay subs would be used

Mannyb18b
08-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I have that sub. great sub, its a beast

L|_|da
08-17-2005, 07:46 AM
call them, the sx is killer, there 12.1 amp should run it quite well, or something from hifonics or US amps. theres a nice company list in the newbie thread

Blazin20s
08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
alright..well im prly gonna look into that then....yea one of my bestfriends (2002stang22 is his name on here) he got a us amp its the DE-3000...hes gonna have it powering 5 12's im sure u guys prly remember helping him

so i should go with hifonics or us or a differnt??? i guess i need to go with the cheapest still gonna try to get the budget totall for sub and amp around 800... u guys got any specific(spl) recomendations from those companies that would power the RE good (haha n cheap)

the only website i could find it from other that re's website had the price in euros arent those about the same as a an american $$$$

yea from ebay i meant a companny that sold threw ebay

thanks

mark

L|_|da
08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
CALL RE thats how you get prices and order.

im gonna use hifonics on my XXX18 later this year so id recomend them.

Blazin20s
08-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Any recomendations on which hifonics model?

AndonD454
08-17-2005, 08:44 PM
you can do better than hifonics with the extra 450+ youll have left over for an amp.. well maybe after wires and box liek 400.. but still thats plenty for a good amp.

a nine.1 from elemental designs would be a nice match.. youll get over 1200 watts (prolly like 1400) and im sure the SX can handle it. its 350 at www.edesignaudio.com .. but im sure there are tons of amps that would do a great job in that range but i dont know where amps are cheapest while still under warranty.

RickwithaTbird
08-17-2005, 09:18 PM
go with audiobahn yo. Your car needs to have some show to it. Everybody in the real world will think its sick when you show them your audiobahn 18. Or you could get some side market stuff like RE, and have people always ask you who's that. Do you really think audiobahn's 18" sub blows? Yea right... it pounds. I've heard them.

Blazin20s
08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
alright thanks thats the awnser i was looking for(not towards the rockwitdatbird)....yea i plan on getting a custom box built...guess i a decent amount of room to work with....4dr blazer

Is that guy right though?^^^^^

L|_|da
08-17-2005, 09:31 PM
depends on who your talking to really, the guys on here are true audiophiles, they like to hear it the way it was ment to be heard. you average joe on the street has a crappy sounding 100DB system and thinks he the fucking shit. msot people will be like audiobahn is the shit, JL this, alpine that, but tis all theyve ever known. i wantede a W7 until i saw a XXX12 destroy a W7, and the XXX only had 600W it was sick.

but it all boils down to personal opinion, so basically,. its your choice

Blazin20s
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Yea man...I'm really not to worried about names that much....im in highschool so most of the people who would see my stuff dont kno wat there talking about anyways so it doesnt bother me

im just looking for nice sounding hand hitting subs

besides seems like re are hell of alot better neways from im reading and have read

Blazin20s
08-17-2005, 10:04 PM
So it would be arlight if i got the Elemental design amp of ebay?

EBAY ED AMP (http://cgi.ebay.com/B-STOCK-Elemental-Designs-NINe-1-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ5800105694QQcategoryZ18797QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

L|_|da
08-18-2005, 10:01 AM
yea im in highschool and everyones like Orion, wtf is that, im like a sub that owns everything you have.

that should be ok, i buy audio stuff off of ebay when i can get a good deal on it, never had a problem/

CBFryman
08-18-2005, 01:18 PM
call them, the sx is killer, there 12.1 amp should run it quite well, or something from hifonics or US amps. theres a nice company list in the newbie thread

hifonics and USamps are far far appart ;)

RE SX 18 should be 300-260 shipped and 12.1 is 300-400 shipped (i forget the price they gave me, it was closer to 400 i think)

Blazin20s
08-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Alrighty thanks for getting the prices...so if i had a couple 100 more would it be worth gettig the mt over the sx? or is the mt even any better...reaudio.com said it doesnt have a warranty cause its so "crazy"?

And whys the re 12.1 so expensive off ebay seems like its alays cheaper off ebay...12.1 off ebay (http://search.ebay.com/resonant-engineering-12-1_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZresonantQ20engineeri ngQ2012.1)

L|_|da
08-18-2005, 09:14 PM
cuz there not common

and im looking @ getting an MT cuz the XXX will be out o f stock until november. but a friend dropped my HU today, fucking up the opening mechanism so i gotta go fix that, its looking like i might need a new one, which would put the sub back evern more.

Blazin20s
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Ouch....id be pretty angry at my friend if i were u.....So u think its worth goin for the mt over the sx then?...wat amp u planning on powering that mt with?

bumpinstang77
08-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Okay its been a while since I've been on here but i needa correct some newbs..... FIRST OFF this sub does not suck..... throw it in a huge ass sealed box and feed it decent power and ittl be sloppy but its a fuckin low end MONSTER..... SECOND OFF luda a xxx will not destroy a dub7 especially not 12 for 12.... pretty even comparisson there..... not a lot of people properly set up their dub7's though. sx 18's are 320 shipped and 12.1's are 390 shipped. DONT GET AN MT you won't have the money to properly power it and trust me it needs a lot of power..... a hell of a lot more then an SX. So if u want loud ass bass that still sounds good go with the SX if you want CRAZY low end but sloppy bass go with the 1805Q

L|_|da
08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
im not longer on speaking terms with that particular freind, the display and control panel are not getting power/signal, so its useless which means im gonna have to get it repaired which is gonna cost more $$.

and i think i got owned by bumpinstang....

how much power does the MT need? i was planning on about 3000W RMS.

i highly doubt the W7 was tuned/installed correctly and the XXX was so that prolly why the XXX won

and what other drivers are on par with the XXX in terms of overall SQL? i was thinking the ava18 but i heard they were hard to get as well.

CBFryman
08-19-2005, 05:27 PM
hehe, people call my Ava18 garbage flea market shit....untill they think they have subs in their car when they are parked 4 spaces down from me :D
oh and i men 300-360...i try to give a range... if he has a dealer near him it will be more.

CBFryman
08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
oh and MT's dont NEED 300w... a 22.1 does them fine... but their super stiff suspension and lack of a pole vent kinda hold them back unless you start talking about kw and not just watts... the MT isnt ment for daily though, they are deisgned for competition, hence the lack of warranty...

RickwithaTbird
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
depends on who your talking to really, the guys on here are true audiophiles, they like to hear it the way it was ment to be heard. you average joe on the street has a crappy sounding 100DB system and thinks he the fucking shit. msot people will be like audiobahn is the shit, JL this, alpine that, but tis all theyve ever known. i wantede a W7 until i saw a XXX12 destroy a W7, and the XXX only had 600W it was sick.

but it all boils down to personal opinion, so basically,. its your choice

bro this is a garbage ass post. You really think these internet companies are producing better product than multi million dollar corporations who can pay people to come up with the best equipment?

Fuck all that nonsense. The W7 was the first of it's kind and all the other companies played off of it, eventually creating better woofers. That doesn't make JL any less of a company. They'll come out with a new sub to blow away your internet brands, and then 6 months later when they copy it, you'll be talking shit about JL again. I would rather save the extra money and go with a real company than this bobo crap. I would rather have boston components ANY day over some koda components. Boston Z6's are better. F1 Status is better. Yea they're more expensive.... duh, once you reach a certain point, it gets very hard to improve, so little margins are more costly. If you cant afford the best of the best, then go with these internet brands because they're good enough. But alpine makes good shit. JL makes good shit. Audiobahn makes very loud speakers. For a company to be strictly oriented at making speakers, and no multimedia, then yes, you would EXPECT their best speakers to be a better value. But they still arent actually better.

and I'm in no way shape or form worshipping audiobahn in this post. I agree with stang's post about the 18.

L|_|da
08-19-2005, 10:29 PM
im looking for something around 300-400$ thats gonna hit hard but sound good, for daily driver usage, i was thinking a LI15 in a large box, or MMATS Dreanaught 15, but i dont know how much the dreadnuahgt is. im gonna have about a KW to play with, maybe a little bit more.

Mannyb18b
08-20-2005, 11:33 AM
bro this is a garbage ass post. You really think these internet companies are producing better product than multi million dollar corporations who can pay people to come up with the best equipment?

Fuck all that nonsense. The W7 was the first of it's kind and all the other companies played off of it, eventually creating better woofers. That doesn't make JL any less of a company. They'll come out with a new sub to blow away your internet brands, and then 6 months later when they copy it, you'll be talking shit about JL again. I would rather save the extra money and go with a real company than this bobo crap. I would rather have boston components ANY day over some koda components. Boston Z6's are better. F1 Status is better. Yea they're more expensive.... duh, once you reach a certain point, it gets very hard to improve, so little margins are more costly. If you cant afford the best of the best, then go with these internet brands because they're good enough. But alpine makes good shit. JL makes good shit. Audiobahn makes very loud speakers. For a company to be strictly oriented at making speakers, and no multimedia, then yes, you would EXPECT their best speakers to be a better value. But they still arent actually better.

and I'm in no way shape or form worshipping audiobahn in this post. I agree with stang's post about the 18.

shut up. Adire Audio pretty much created XBL^2. and name ONE JL sub that can blow away a similar sub from an "internet brand"? JL is a good brand, sometimes a great brand. Kodas WOULD WALK ALL OVER BOSTON COMPONENTS. from your post you prove you know absolutely nothing about what your talking about. ugh

Blazin20s
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
lol my threads causing a argument

pimprolla112
08-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Rick just shut up your talking out of your ass about something you know nothing about. Just because xibit and the guys at west coast use it doesnt meen its good. Audiobahn blows there immortal and external stuff is good but other than that i would buy a pioneer sub from walmart before i would buy an audiobahn. So before you go running at the mought about something you dont know remember just because pimp my ride had it doesnt meen its good. Oh yeah blazin20's get the RE im getting ready to order a XXX in october and a PPI amp and dont be scared of ebay look at there ratings more sales with less negative feedback.

PaulD
08-20-2005, 09:02 PM
It doesn't take much to get these guys to arguing ... especially about subs. But most of them don't know much about real sound quality, frequencies above 100 Hz. It's pretty easy to tell by listening to them talk about it.

RickwithaTbird
08-20-2005, 09:55 PM
shut up. Adire Audio pretty much created XBL^2. and name ONE JL sub that can blow away a similar sub from an "internet brand"? JL is a good brand, sometimes a great brand. Kodas WOULD WALK ALL OVER BOSTON COMPONENTS. from your post you prove you know absolutely nothing about what your talking about. ugh
I've ran into a few people with that stuff because I install stereos ALL the time. I don't agree with your post. In my opinion the Z6's are better components. Not like the difference between pioneer components and then kodas, but I still like the bostons better.

CBFryman
08-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Adire audio didnt "pretty much" creat XBL^2...they did and they own the patent.
But that doesnt make XBL^2 the end all motor technology, XXX15 DOES have the ability to get louder than a w7 13...but an XXX12 does NOT have the ability to get louder than a w7 12 in a properly set up enclosure.
w7's are more sensitive and reach Xmax sooner than XXX's
if you want a size per size comparison with XBL^2 enabled drivers, Adire's Tumult should be able to get louder than a w7 but no one has gotten to play around with the new ones yet.
however, the XXX is being re designed...should be comming out soon...should be interesting.

L|_|da
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
the new XXX's wont be out until november :(

PaulD
08-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna redo the CRX ... haven't decided on the sub system, maybe a new 18" XXX is the answer. Just out of curiosity, how big of a box are we talking about ? It will probably be standalone ...... I will have the SQ part of the stereo in the front (including 8" or 10" subs), and a large sub in the back - each system will able to be played independently or together. I will probably port the large sub for additional output.

Blazin20s
08-21-2005, 01:58 PM
You guys got in specs on a box when i get my re sx18....should i ported or sealed or wat?

...i drive a 4dr blazer so i got some room to work with

L|_|da
08-21-2005, 02:19 PM
if i remeber correctly the XXX18 wants a 7.5cuft @ 28-30hz. and check the resite, they have enclosure volumes and all that jazz on there

pimprolla112
08-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Im doing a 6.5-7.5 cuft ported box with a 1500.1 ppi amp its going in a blazer so i have a shit load of room in the back.

Blazin20s
08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
if i remeber correctly the XXX18 wants a 7.5cuft @ 28-30hz. and check the resite, they have enclosure volumes and all that jazz on there

So if im getting the SX18 does it use the same amount of space as the XXX?

And can neone give me a quick rundown of what it means to tune a box?

"@ 28-30hz" lol wat does this mean?..thats the result of tuning it right?

PaulD
08-21-2005, 08:49 PM
when you have a ported box, you have to "tune" the size of the box and the volume of the port to a frequency. It gives you some extra output around the frequency you tune it too, but much below the tuning frequency there is very little audible output (just a lot of motion)

L|_|da
08-21-2005, 08:58 PM
what he said, it involves adjusting calculating the length of the port, im currently working on a 7.5cuft enclosure, its way over kill for my current woofer but this way i can switch to a competition woofer and already have the box, plus i have nothing else to do. my port is 16in*2in and 14 in long, if i did my calculations right it is ~25 hz.

Blazin20s
08-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Hm i think i understand the just of it....so is it a like a mathmatical formula or something to get how many hz u need by the dimsions of the port?

haha or do i have no idea wat im talkin about...?

2002stang22
08-21-2005, 09:40 PM
i'ma go with the second one...you're a douche bag n you have no idea what ur talkin about

L|_|da
08-22-2005, 07:34 AM
dont rag on hima, hes new, just like you were @ one time.

the port length is determined my some sort of mathematical formula, i generally use a port calculator, there tons of them online, but it depends mainly on the size of your box and the hz you want to tune to.

im semi new as well though, so i could be totally wrong but thats my understanding.

CBFryman
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
paul, have fun with that 18 with 5" P2P excursion.

bumpinstang77
08-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Luda..... I'd feed it no less then 2500 daily in a big box. And on par with the xxx would be w7's, brahmas, avalanches, diamond D9's, orion h2's, mtx 9500's and the list goes on......

fryman 22.1's aren't out and won't be for a long time..... not all MT's suspensions are stiff you get whatever spider config you want and also spider stiffness doesn't mean it needs gobs of power. The lack of a polevent has nothing to do what so ever with anything other then increasing the bl.

Quote from rick:

rick:
Yes the internet brands ARE producing better products. a parthenon will own a jackhammer....a tumult will own a w7 (by some at least) and the new RE sub (as seen on realm of excursion) Will own any other sub out there minus the parthenon. Not to mention almost every major internet brand has a subwoofer that will hang with or beat the dub7. Head units are the only place main stream companies blow out internet brand companies. My Kodas are a badass component set and can't be beaten for the price..... I ahve yet to hear a set of components sound more natural. Ohh and about the w7 comming out first..... you might wanna check into that because the brahma mk. 1's and the xxx's (old boob cones) have been around for quite some time.

Manny adire didn't pretty much create xbl^2 Dan Wiggins (CEO of Adire) created it period no one else to the best of my knowledge had anything to do with it.

Luda get a new magunm 15 trust me on this one.

Pual at least 7 cubes net ported I'd aim for more though.... 10 would be ideal.

Rick when have you heard properly setup Kodas and properly set up boston whatever the hell they ares?

bumpinstang77
08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
paul, have fun with that 18 with 5" P2P excursion.

try 3" tops.

Add your comment to this topic!