Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Change

AndrewKumquat
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
I recently bought a 2003 Blazer, the ZR2 model. How do I change the oil? It's a bit more complicated than my last car.

BlazerLT
08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Ever read your owner's manual?

Oil filter is behind the front bumper and should be accessed through a door you will have to swing open to gain access.

Oil pan plug is on the bottom of the engine.

muzzy1maniac
08-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Me thinks you have someone else do it...

drdd
08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
changing the oil is exactly the same as on your last car

Me thinks you have someone else do it...

AndrewKumquat
08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I know how to do it, just can't find the oil pan plug to save my life.

wolfox
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
It's on the passenger side of the oil pan. (Black square pan between your exhaust manifolds) Getting to the oil filter is easy on my truck! I drop the splash pan off of the front that covers the steering gear and reach up inside to hit all of my grease zerks while it's up on ramps. :) I have made lubricating the upper and lower ball joints easier when it comes to oil-change time by removing the standard zerks and insering 90 degree zerks that face the front. Reach behind the tire with a flexible hose attached to your grease gun and give it 2 pumps. Hit all zerks at oil change time with 2 pumps of the gun and you'll be trucking for a long time!

drdd
08-16-2005, 09:36 PM
I second the motion on the 90 degree zircs (broke the old ones off anyhow). It helps alot, esp if u have 4WD and limited room under there.

It's on the passenger side of the oil pan. (Black square pan between your exhaust manifolds) Getting to the oil filter is easy on my truck! I drop the splash pan off of the front that covers the steering gear and reach up inside to hit all of my grease zerks while it's up on ramps. :) I have made lubricating the upper and lower ball joints easier when it comes to oil-change time by removing the standard zerks and insering 90 degree zerks that face the front. Reach behind the tire with a flexible hose attached to your grease gun and give it 2 pumps. Hit all zerks at oil change time with 2 pumps of the gun and you'll be trucking for a long time!

dmbrisket 51
08-16-2005, 10:22 PM
forget zerts in general, take them out and use the male end adaptor, even easyer

BlazerLT
08-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I know how to do it, just can't find the oil pan plug to save my life.

Come from the side of the vehicle and you will see it.

wolfox
08-17-2005, 12:12 AM
forget zerts in general, take them out and use the male end adaptor, even easyer

Eek! Now that is a little too scary. I can't help but think of what crud would pool in the empty sockets where water and mud can rest. I guess it would be alright for a truck that never saw off-road or mild water crossings, but that's the sort of thing my truck eats on a regular basis out here in the "sticks".

AndrewKumquat
08-25-2005, 08:35 PM
I still can't find the oil pan drain plug, I even have the service manual. The only thing I can find on the oil pan that looks like it could be it is so torqued down that I almost stripped the head of it trying to get it off.

AndrewKumquat
08-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I also think you guys are giving me instructions for the 2.2L engine, I have the 4.3L.

chigger23
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I also think you guys are giving me instructions for the 2.2L engine, I have the 4.3L.

You pull the dipstick out, you put the dipstick in, you pull the dipstick out, and you shake it all about, you do the hoke pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Give me a break-------GOTO AUTOZONE, GRAB THE DELIQUINT BEHIND THE COUNTER AND ASK HIM WHERE THE OIL PAN IS.

dmbrisket 51
08-25-2005, 11:31 PM
my 98, its on the drivers side, back corner of the pan

redwheeler
08-27-2005, 05:13 PM
if u cant find it dont do it an oil change is so easy if u cant find the plug pay and get it done

mrfixit64857
08-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I just had to read this thread for the fun of it

muzzy1maniac
08-28-2005, 03:49 AM

Your truck must have the new oil in it. It lasts the life of the vehicle so the manufacturer deleted the drain plug.

Just kidding!! Take it to a shop!!!!!:sly:

KHFINLAY
09-09-2005, 07:13 AM
On my 4.3 vortec the drain plug is to the back of the metal guard protecting the oil pan. Look to see the metal protective plate below the engine, follow that to the rear middle and you will see a thingy that you have to remove with a socket. There is also a front protective plate that has an access door for the oil filter. Turn that screw 90 degrees and force thet door open as it is spring loaded. What probably is your problem is that cars dont have that skid plate under them because they are not built for off road. Your blazer has metal plates to protect everythimg so they wont be easily damaged when you go offroad. Dont feel like an idiot I can see where it seems strange since normally below a car you would cee the oil pan and oil filter without metal plates over them. Hope that helped

Blazerboy1287
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Okay, the bolt you were talking about, the one "torqued down like hell" is the one for the drain plug... i just changed it... don't use an open ended wrench, use a ratchet, with perhaps a breaker bar if you can't get the leverage... the socket size is 9/16, and then the remote oil filter for the 4wd models is located behind the door that you open near the front. Hope you managed to change the oil. and if you have the 95, make sure to use 4.5 quarts, no more, and no less!!!

dmbrisket 51
09-09-2005, 06:39 PM
dont use anything thats not a closed six point for the drain plug

wolfox
09-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Huh, 9/16th's you say? I guess the previous owner had the pan stripped out on mine. Mine goes on and off with a fresh copper crush gasket, using a 13mm Flare nut wrench. Can't get much more of a snug fit that way, and it's not too long so you set it's torque too tight. Otherwise, I *think*, I have to look it up in my tables; but the pan bolt should be snugged to 25 foot/lbs with a torque wrench. I have a breakaway style so long, it doubles as a cheater, but there is no more precious tool in my collection. From setting wheel lugs to precise torque, to making sure you don't squash and cut gaskets, there is nothing better!

Add your comment to this topic!