Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

motor mounts

oddcar88
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
recently i bought a used 1991 Chevy blazer s-10 4x4, 4dr.When i accelerated hard i notice a shaking on the engine. I asked someone about this and they said the motor mounts need to be replaced. I just want to know how much this will cost. I that needs to be done it replace or possibly tighten my loose motor mounts.

BlazerLT
08-14-2005, 05:56 PM
you don't tighten, you replace.

Talk to your local parts suppliers and shops to see what the prices are.

We can't quote you the cost seeing we don't live where you are.

oddcar88
08-14-2005, 06:10 PM
you don't tighten, you replace.

Talk to your local parts suppliers and shops to see what the prices are.

We can't quote you the cost seeing we don't live where you are.

I wanted to know how much the labor on a job like that would be

BlazerLT
08-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I wanted to know how much the labor on a job like that would be

Contact your local shops.

wolfox
08-15-2005, 01:54 AM
It is generally not an expensive part, even paying mechanic's markup. However, it is a tedious job, and that is where you'll run into money. Depending on the shop and level of expertise, expect to pay 2~4 hours of shop labor + the mounts. I can pick them up locally for $25/piece - figure a 25% to 50% markup from the garage on them if you do not bring in the parts.

Rick Norwood
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
There is a quick and easy test to first determine if it is indeed your motor mounts that are the culprit. But a word of caution here, it is a little dangerous. Start the truck and shift into drive, FIRMLY apply the brakes and have someone stand beside the truck (NOT IN FRONT OF IT) while you slowly accelerate. DO NOT GUN THE ENGINE! If you have a broken motor mount, you should see the driver's side of the motor raise up off of the mount. You should see this right away and you should not let the motor raise up more than about 1/4 inch before shutting it down. Whoever is watching the motor should have a pretty good idea about what to look for. BE CAREFUL.

When I replaced the mounts on my 1993 2wd, I think I paid a total of $75 USD for both sides and the transmission mount, which included tax at Autozone. The dealership quoted me $500.00 USD parts and labor. I did the Labor myself and it took about 4 hours by the time I was done.

Add your comment to this topic!