Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC only running on full or not at all

BST88
08-14-2005, 01:30 PM
I drive a Ford Explorer 1999 Eddie Bauer
Today I noticed that I can only operate the front AC in max. mode or not at all. The Rear AC can be operated in different output speeds through the panel on the steering wheel or the actual control on the dashboard.
When the AC mode is off and I only operate the vents the output also appears to be controllable.
Considering the heatwave we are having this is a little annoying
Any idea what could be wrong?

B33p3r
08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I have the Explorer XLT and do not have same controls as you so I am a little confused. i was told the only difference between Max AC and AC is Max Ac recirculates interior air and AC pulls air from outside. The fan speeds control the flow whether Max AC, AC, Vent, or Heat etc etc. Are you having problems with the fan or the AC ?

BST88
08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
I played a little more with the settings today.
It appears that everything coming through the front dashboard openings only runs on full or not at all, i.e. AC, Ventilation - I did not try the heat since we have upper 90ies here therefore hard to simlulate :wink:
I will take it to the shop to have my mechanic look at it since I am good at fixing things in my house but cars is a different issue.

Tugger
08-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I played a little more with the settings today.
It appears that everything coming through the front dashboard openings only runs on full or not at all, i.e. AC, Ventilation - I did not try the heat since we have upper 90ies here therefore hard to simlulate :wink:
I will take it to the shop to have my mechanic look at it since I am good at fixing things in my house but cars is a different issue.

Your problem is your blower motor resistor which controls the fan speed. The resistor goes bad you only get high speed since high speed bypasses the resistor. The resistor allows the medium and low speeds to work. It is located right next to the lower part of your blower motor. 2 8mm screws hold it in. If you have the auto climate control, the part will cost you 110.00 from Ford. If you have the regular manually controlled fan speed, the part is 17.00 from Ford. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket blower resistor.

BST88
08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks!!! This very valuable information and a good way to test my mechanic, who claims is very low cost. Rgds Birgit

busboy4
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi All

Valuable discussion for me. I have a '99 EB with auto climate control. Symptoms were: full fan all the time. Temp control and defrost/floor etc were fine. When selected off, the system would blow full fan through the defrost outlets. I figured the fan controller was the culprit. Luckily, it was "only" $65 at the dealership. It is buried in the engine compartment under the blower fan and Cruise control module. Hard to change out, but it solved the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!