Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wierd Coil Pack problem

Alibi
08-13-2005, 05:42 PM
1986 delta 88, 120k Vin B

The engine has been idling and running very rough so I checked the coil packs and and one of the coils wasn't giving any spark. I bought a new coil pack and new spark plugs. Installed coil pack, tried starting but the engine would crank really hard and not turn over. Installed new spark plugs w/ the same results.

the car did run before i changed the coil packs so i assume i did something wrong when i installed it. Any suggestions?

GTP Dad
08-13-2005, 06:42 PM
The coils will only go on one way so I don't think that is your problem. It sounds like you need to check the battery or the battery cables or both. Also check the grounds on the car. Any of these will cause the car to turn over hard also, it is possible that the ignition module under the coils is bad.

Jim Adams
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I would tend to agree with GTP dad and check your module under the coils,,it sounds as thow it is turning over advanced and seeing how there is no distributor then it may be fireing prematurley making it advance and turn over hard or Battery cables and or Battery.

Alibi
08-14-2005, 04:07 PM
OK, the battery is a possibility since it is old. I have a spare from my recently wrecked car that i'll switch in.

I had the ignition module checked at autozone and it checked out good, although i had it checked before i replaced the coils. Could it have gone bad since replacing?

Alibi
08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
OK, fixed the problem. I had the coils' wires on wrong. I re-read the diagram and re-installed. Started up just fine. Wheee!

Add your comment to this topic!