Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Rotor Installation

LTJGWorth
08-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I've searched all over the internet for answers on rotor installation. Plenty of aritcles on changing the front rotors on a 4x4, but none on a 2x4. Truck is a 2000 f-150 4.6L 2x4 subercab. The rotors are in desparate need of changing. I'd really like to get it done today. Just need to to know how to remove the old rotors, what needs to be done (bearings, ect) and how to install the new ones. I'm going to take pictures with the digital while I'm doing all this and make my own little tech article for us 2x4 guys wanting to change our rotors. Thanks for any help!

peppermrj
08-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I've searched all over the internet for answers on rotor installation. Plenty of aritcles on changing the front rotors on a 4x4, but none on a 2x4. Truck is a 2000 f-150 4.6L 2x4 subercab. The rotors are in desparate need of changing. I'd really like to get it done today. Just need to to know how to remove the old rotors, what needs to be done (bearings, ect) and how to install the new ones. I'm going to take pictures with the digital while I'm doing all this and make my own little tech article for us 2x4 guys wanting to change our rotors. Thanks for any help!

Changing front rotors on a 2 wheel drive is pretty old tech. Its been the same for cars and trucks for quite a long time. Once the caliper is removed basically there is a round dust cap in the center of the wheel that when removed will reveal a single nut. This nut is held in place with a cotter pin. Remove the cotter key and then the nut and the rotor will slide right off. The front bearing will be loose and fall right out so remove it first. The rear bearing is held in with a grease seal and will come off with the rotor.

Once off the only thing you can do is to either replace the wheel bearings and seal or if they are good you simply repack them with grease.

Reinstallation is the reverse but you need to pay careful attention to the torgue on the big nut. They are not to be overtightened. The cotter pin holds them in place.

These to links are for older (up to 1996) ford trucks. The procedure is basically unchanged. You can click on the two arrows marked previous and next for other info xuch as caliper removal and so on. Remeber this is for trucks up to 96 and is a general guide. The rotor stuff is the same but the caliper procedures are OLD.

Brake Disc (Rotor) (http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0c/e3/ac/0900823d800ce3ac.jsp)
2-Wheel Drive Front Wheel Bearings (http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/0a/6e/0900823d800a0a6e.jsp)

Hope it give you a head start on your how to. Good luck.

LTJGWorth
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't even know why I posted. I knew how to do it. I guess I just had a brain fart. Did it all today, took about an hour. Pretty much what you said. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm not going to make a tech article.

peppermrj
08-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't even know why I posted. I knew how to do it. I guess I just had a brain fart. Did it all today, took about an hour. Pretty much what you said. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm not going to make a tech article.

I wish you would. 20 years ago those type of rotors were common on almost everything. Now with the advent of mostly front wheel drive and a lot of 4 wheel drive vehicles new enthusiast aren't that familiar with the procedure. Overtightening the main nut will cause the bearings to be overloaded and require unneccessary repair or replacement. You are correct in that there is not much out there on the net that gives a good description. Even the link I provided wasn't much.

Glad you got it all taken care of.

LTJGWorth
08-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, I guess I could post about it. I won't have any pictures, but I can do it with words.

Add your comment to this topic!