Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trans problem?? cv problems??

speedysportcar
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
on my 97 avalon at hiway speeds(45-65mph) the car hesatates/surges. It does this w/wo o.d. the rpms do not bounce. also there is a viberation at these speeds. put new tires on still have vibs. every once in a while it surges when starting out from a stop(1-5mph). could this be cv or bearings going bad

Joe W
08-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Have the wheels been aligned lately?

speedysportcar
08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
no they have not. but i did clean out the throttle body. it needed it bad. the hesatation/surge stopped at hiway speed. but still does it at 1-5 mph. mostly when the car is warm. still stumped but searching. ty

Joe W
08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Could be more than one problem. the hesitation could be anything from a borderline O2 sensor to bad plugs, the vibration could be alignment, assuming the balancing was done on the new tires. It is unlikely that the surging 1-5 mph is cv or bearing related, but from the description, sounds performance related. Hope this helps. The throttle body cleaning helps with a sticking pedal.

speedysportcar
08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
thanks for the reply Joe. while I was looking at write ups I came acrossed one from mb_. On his 98 Avalon he had the same problem on the hesitation, as I do. He changed the EGR valve and EGR vac. valve. And it solved his problem. When I get to Toyota dealer to get my parts and put them on I'll let you know if it worked for me. I'll also get an alignment. Once again thanks for answering my post. Patrick

Add your comment to this topic!