Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short Ram Intake possible problems

Eraccord
08-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Ok, I recently bought a 2001 accord V6 3.0 vTech. I absolutely love the car, great power and handling. I put a short ram intake on the car along with an exhaust system. Everything still runs great, and of course an increase in power, but when my car idles down, the RPM's jump slightly from idle at aboue 700 rpms to about 1100 and then its finally settles back down. would this have anything to do with me changing the intake and exhaust? and if so, is there a way to fix it so the RPMs do keep attempting to reference the same point they went to prior to the mods? Any help would be great, thanks. Eric

icE_x
08-13-2005, 02:43 PM
is the ecu throwing any codes? maybe resetting the ecu will help? To do this, pull the fuse for the ECU, let the car sit for 5 minutes, then put the fuse back in, run the car WITHOUT PRESSING THE GAS for about 5 minutes, then shutoff and restart the car - see if that helps

Eraccord
08-13-2005, 05:08 PM
is the ecu throwing any codes? maybe resetting the ecu will help? To do this, pull the fuse for the ECU, let the car sit for 5 minutes, then put the fuse back in, run the car WITHOUT PRESSING THE GAS for about 5 minutes, then shutoff and restart the car - see if that helps

Hey, Ill definetly try that. thanks for the reply and ill let you know if it works or not. How do i check to see if the ECU is sending out codes?

Igovert500
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Well if it were, you'd be getting a Check Engine light. Since you have an '01 (anything 95+ is OBDII ECUs) Autozone could pull your codes for free in seconds, if you did have a Check Engine light.

However, I'm assuming you don't, so no need. Now just so I'm 100% clear, are your rpms bouncing back and forth, or do they bounce a bit at the beginning, and then level off a few minutes down the road?

My first guess would be a vacuum hose wasn't reattached when you put on your intake. Did you leave any hoses unplugged?

Eraccord
08-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Well if it were, you'd be getting a Check Engine light. Since you have an '01 (anything 95+ is OBDII ECUs) Autozone could pull your codes for free in seconds, if you did have a Check Engine light.

However, I'm assuming you don't, so no need. Now just so I'm 100% clear, are your rpms bouncing back and forth, or do they bounce a bit at the beginning, and then level off a few minutes down the road?

My first guess would be a vacuum hose wasn't reattached when you put on your intake. Did you leave any hoses unplugged?

Ok, I have no check engine lights on. The rpm's only bound one or two times when the car is coming to a stop. There is no problem with power or with the rpm's while driving the car at all. Its just more annoying to me than anything. Its like having a rattle you cant find. I reattached all of the vaccume lines, but now that you mention it, with all the pulling and crap i did with this intake, i may have damaged a vaccume line. I am picking up a new Injin cold air intake system, made exactly for my car tomorrow. The one i bought was a piece of crap ($80.00) haha. this injin cost me 246.00. plus im having all the lines replaced as well as a dyno tune and run. Thanks for all the help, and ill let you know the results and if the problem finally goes away. Any other ideas, let me know. Eric

Igovert500
08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Ooo....I wouldn't have gotten the other intake. People may argue that hte Injen is worth it. I disagree, but that is just me. I had a $30 intake on my honda and it worked just as well as my friend's $300 AEM he had on his identical honda.

Bottom line, I don't think the brand of intake has anything to do with your problem, or that a dyno run is at all necessary. Unless you wanted one. But to each his own.

As far as the problem, erratic idleing usually comes from vacuum line leaks, spark plugs, and bad o2 sensors. The o2 sensor would have thrown a Check Engine Light, plugs going bad would show a loss of performance. So I still think it's probably the vacuum lines.

On the other hand, I would tend to think that the rpms would continue to bounce erratically, not settle down after a bit...

I don't mean to insult you or anything, but just to cover all the bases, are you sure this isn't just your rpms going up as your tranny downshifts as you slow to a stop? I assume you owned this car prior to the exhuast and intake addition, so I'm guessing this is not the case, but just asking to be sure.

2 easy ways to find a vacuum leak would be to turn the car on and listen for hissing air escaping or to spray soapy water on your vacuum lines and watch for bubbles.

Hope you get it figured out tomorrow, let us know.

Eraccord
08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Ooo....I wouldn't have gotten the other intake. People may argue that hte Injen is worth it. I disagree, but that is just me. I had a $30 intake on my honda and it worked just as well as my friend's $300 AEM he had on his identical honda.

Bottom line, I don't think the brand of intake has anything to do with your problem, or that a dyno run is at all necessary. Unless you wanted one. But to each his own.

As far as the problem, erratic idleing usually comes from vacuum line leaks, spark plugs, and bad o2 sensors. The o2 sensor would have thrown a Check Engine Light, plugs going bad would show a loss of performance. So I still think it's probably the vacuum lines.

On the other hand, I would tend to think that the rpms would continue to bounce erratically, not settle down after a bit...

I don't mean to insult you or anything, but just to cover all the bases, are you sure this isn't just your rpms going up as your tranny downshifts as you slow to a stop? I assume you owned this car prior to the exhuast and intake addition, so I'm guessing this is not the case, but just asking to be sure.

2 easy ways to find a vacuum leak would be to turn the car on and listen for hissing air escaping or to spray soapy water on your vacuum lines and watch for bubbles.

Hope you get it figured out tomorrow, let us know.

Hey bro, thanks for the reply. Well I have also questioned if this jumping is due to the down shifting, but i didnt notice it until i added the mods, this may also be because now i can clearly hear my motor working due to the exhaust system. I am going to replace the vaccum lines regardless because i did do alot of pulling on them with this intake. The reason that i spent the money on the Injin intake was because i wanted something that was warrentied, as well as a cold air intake that extends under the bumper. I have the short ram intake right now and im not very happy with it because it doesnt fit my car all that good, causing me to make a few minor modifications to the tube. I will let you all know what happens tomorrow after im done with all of this. Oh yeah, like an idiot i bought the Turbonator about 2 weeks ago, but i havent put it on due to all the negative things i have heard about it. If anyone knows anything about this, let me know before i subject my car to a piece of crap. Thanks, Eric

Add your comment to this topic!