Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HATEFUL, EVIL, Daytime Running Lights DRL

Schurkey
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
How do you KILL the Daytime Running Lights?

I do NOT mean "every stinking time I get in the vehicle". I want them OFF FOR--EVER!

Is there a relatively simple place to smash a relay or pull a hidden fuse?

I don't use my wipers when my windshield is clear, I don't use my heater when it's hot out. So, WHY WOULD I WANT LIGHTS ON IN THE DAYTIME? I am SOOOO peeved at GM for forcing this unwanted crap on us. I REFUSED to buy a new GM product because I won't allow them to make a profit selling me crap I don't want. (DRL and OnStar) Is it any wonder their stock prices are in the toilet???

GMMerlin
08-13-2005, 01:44 PM

I do NOT mean "every stinking time I get in the vehicle". I want them OFF FOR--EVER!

I don't use my wipers when my windshield is clear, I don't use my heater when it's hot out. So, WHY WOULD I WANT LIGHTS ON IN THE DAYTIME? I am SOOOO peeved at GM for forcing this unwanted crap on us. I REFUSED to buy a new GM product because I won't allow them to make a profit selling me crap I don't want. (DRL and OnStar) Is it any wonder their stock prices are in the toilet???

Well dumbass GM wasn't the one that forced DRLs on your vehicle!
You can thank the Federal Goverment for the mandates such as DRLs.
The DRLs are a safety item that makes your vehicle more visible to other drivers during daylight hours and has been proven to prevent vehicle collisions.
Now as far as Onstar goes, it is actually cheaper to equip all vehicles with this option and let the customer decide if they would like to continue the service after the free offer period is up.
Personally I think Onstar is a valuable feature that has proven time and time again to serve those who use its service with quick notification of emergency services especially in areas where cel phone service is unavailable.

Quit your bitching and get over it :banghead:

baskerj
08-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Personally I think Onstar is a valuable feature that has proven time and time again to serve those who use its service with quick notification of emergency services especially in areas where cel phone service is unavailable.

Quit your bitching and get over it :banghead:

Heh...and I thought I was harsh. I love your last comment... :)

I actually saved a guy's life with OnStar. Guy in a truck swearved to miss a J/A motorcyclist (so much that the air compressor in the truck flew out). Lost control and ends up hitting the guardrail three times at about 65 mph (or at least that was the posted speed limit). The guy was breathing and in shock, but completely unresponsive. I called OnStar and the contacted the emergency dispatch for the area who said they had three other reports of the same accident, but all had vary-ing locations by a few miles. OnStar (still conferenced in) pin-pointed the location and told them we were about 500 yards or feet (can't remember) from road "x" (can't remember the name). They the dispatcher loved the fact that they could tell them EXACTLY where to go. They ended up sending a chopper out to get the guy...my TB was in the median with all the emergency vehicles...it was almost just like a commercial. After talking with the EMTs and Lake County's finest and two hours later with cold Kentucky Fried Chicken, Leslye and I went on our way back home. So yeah...OnStar is valuable. It didn't save my life or really do a darn thing for me, but it helped save this guy's life...

MagicRat
08-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Yes, as posted earlier, DRL's are a safety item THAT WORKS. Statistically, DRL equipped vehicles have less accidents than non DRL vehicles. Canada had DRL's long before the US did. The US adopted them because they worked so well in Canada.
They work; 20 years worth of research and statistics says so.

Do you have children/wives/loved ones that ride with you??

Why needlessly endanger them because you have some strange hang up about the lights (why they bother you is beyond me; when you drive its not like you can see them anyways)?

If you must disable them, there is a removable DRL controller somewhere in your car; I don't know where, ask your dealer or look here:
http://www.lightsout.org/news.html

Schurkey
08-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Time to debunk some misunderstandings.

1. DRL are NOT MANDATORY in the United States. GM is trying to get that accomplished, but they HAVE NOT yet. They may be mandatory in Canada.

2. I am aware of exactly ZERO independent scientific studies that have been peer-reviewed for accuracy and completeness that show that DRL actually do what's claimed for them. GM has mouthed-off some statistics, but NOBODY has independenty verified that the tests weren't biased or otherwise flawed. It is really common for auto safety "studies" to be hugely biased. Face it, we had a 55-mph speed limit for TWENTY ONE YEARS based on stupid crap like that.

3. As an example of USELESS "safety features", even the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had to admit that the "high mounted stop lights" that have infected auto designs for about twenty-five years have NO provable safety value. Face it, if you can miss two brake lights, you surely have the potential to miss three. Similarly, if you can NOT see a 4,500 lb. vehicle in the oncoming lane, why would you see it if it's headlights were on? (Unfortunate Answer: Because you are nearly brain-dead, and just reacting to primitive stimulus: just like shining a light into a person's eyes to determine if they're consious.)

4. IF (That's a BIG IF) I were to grant that headlights "on" improves safety (and I do not believe that, but this is just for the sake of debate) WHY would you NOT want it used for the vehicles that need it the most? In other words, DRL might be effective because it causes a few vehicles to stand out from the ordinary--and when LOTS of vehicles have DRL, the only ones that stand out are the ones with the headlights OFF. I'm satisfied to have motorcycles and emergency vehicles (only) with headlights on.

5. Greyhound Bus USED TO drive with headlights on all the time--this was decades ago--and they QUIT because they discovered it DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.

6. If it was actually cheaper to build the vehicle WITH OnStar, WHY ARE FLEET USERS ALLOWED TO ORDER VEHICLES WITHOUT OnStar AND THEY GET A PRICE BREAK?????

7. Where the heck is the DRL controller??? I hate the glare from the lights on YOUR vehicle, I'm trying (in part) to do YOU a favor so you don't have to look at my lights.

baskerj
08-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Time to debunk some misunderstandings.

1. DRL are NOT MANDATORY in the United States. GM is trying to get that accomplished, but they HAVE NOT yet. They may be mandatory in Canada.

2. I am aware of exactly ZERO independent scientific studies that have been peer-reviewed for accuracy and completeness that show that DRL actually do what's claimed for them. GM has mouthed-off some statistics, but NOBODY has independenty verified that the tests weren't biased or otherwise flawed. It is really common for auto safety "studies" to be hugely biased. Face it, we had a 55-mph speed limit for TWENTY ONE YEARS based on stupid crap like that.

3. As an example of USELESS "safety features", even the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had to admit that the "high mounted stop lights" that have infected auto designs for about twenty-five years have NO provable safety value. Face it, if you can miss two brake lights, you surely have the potential to miss three. Similarly, if you can NOT see a 4,500 lb. vehicle in the oncoming lane, why would you see it if it's headlights were on? (Unfortunate Answer: Because you are nearly brain-dead, and just reacting to primitive stimulus: just like shining a light into a person's eyes to determine if they're consious.)

4. IF (That's a BIG IF) I were to grant that headlights "on" improves safety (and I do not believe that, but this is just for the sake of debate) WHY would you NOT want it used for the vehicles that need it the most? In other words, DRL might be effective because it causes a few vehicles to stand out from the ordinary--and when LOTS of vehicles have DRL, the only ones that stand out are the ones with the headlights OFF. I'm satisfied to have motorcycles and emergency vehicles (only) with headlights on.

5. Greyhound Bus USED TO drive with headlights on all the time--this was decades ago--and they QUIT because they discovered it DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.

6. If it was actually cheaper to build the vehicle WITH OnStar, WHY ARE FLEET USERS ALLOWED TO ORDER VEHICLES WITHOUT OnStar AND THEY GET A PRICE BREAK?????

7. Where the heck is the DRL controller??? I hate the glare from the lights on YOUR vehicle, I'm trying (in part) to do YOU a favor so you don't have to look at my lights.

1. Mandatory in new cars in CA...not in US.
2. http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm
3. I've wondered that myself...not only that but, once its mandated that everyone has to have them...won't the cognitive part of your mind start ignoring them like it must do with the whole vehcle now if DRLs are truly effective?
4. Not sure if I agree with your logic on that one...I still don't think you would see the ones with the lights off.
5 Actually I believe they quit because they found out it was costing them more gas (which might also be the reason GM is pushing it)...not that they were proved ineffective. At least that's the story that I read.
6. I think what the person was meaning is that GM has found most people want OnStar...so they put it in the majority of vehicles...and reduce their costs. But this point is kind of moot since OnStar is still an "option"...are you saying GM is going to require you to purchase it? I don't know of any plans to make it a required/included feature. Do you?
7) No idea...I know they sell something on ebay that cuts the circuit with a switch.

While I agree with you logically...it's a sad world when people start complaining about "safety" features (and yes, I know you could argue that ad nauseum) into car. You were probably the same guy that was like my dad in the 80s and complained when it was required to wear seat belts....loss of freedom/liberty and all that "non-proven" stuff. I think we should be a little less critical...

GMMerlin
08-14-2005, 07:34 AM
The biggest problem is driver inattention while driving.
Loud radios, better noise insulation, cel phones and other distractions are the biggest contributor to vehicle collisions.
So GM is trying to make their vehicles safer and more visible to the motoring public by adding larger glass areas, high mounted stop lamps, DRLs, high visibility stop lamps and lighting packages.
Oh how EVIL of the big bad GM to do something to make driving safer and save lifes.
Like I said before, Quit your bitching and get over it.

I hate the glare from the lights on YOUR vehicle, I'm trying (in part) to do YOU a favor so you don't have to look at my lights

Whats wrong, my DRLs distracting you from reading the paper or talking on your cel phone while you are driving?
How inconsiderate of me

MagicRat
08-14-2005, 10:47 AM
The biggest problem is driver inattention while driving.
Loud radios, better noise insulation, cel phones and other distractions are the biggest contributor to vehicle collisions.
So GM is trying to make their vehicles safer and more visible to the motoring public by adding larger glass areas, high mounted stop lamps, DRLs, high visibility stop lamps and lighting packages.
Oh how EVIL of the big bad GM to do something to make driving safer and save lifes.
Like I said before, Quit your bitching and get over it.

Whats wrong, my DRLs distracting you from reading the paper or talking on your cel phone while you are driving?
How inconsiderate of me
:iagree:

Schurkey
08-14-2005, 01:07 PM
How amazing. I completely agree that driver inattention is the #1 problem. Your solution is to put a carnaval light show on every car, and my solution is to expect people to watch where they're going, or they lose their license.

If DRL is such a good idea, imagine all the lives that could be spared...if we left the turnsignals on when we're not turning. And the brake lights should be always on, so people think we're stopping and don't tailgate so much.

Why don't we mandate that every vehicle on the road have a '70's style police lightbar, complete with siren, that is active as long as the key is in the ignition. I favor the european-style two-note siren. You know, the kind that if you're in the right frame of mind, sound like they're blaring "REEEEE--TAAAAAARD REEEEE--TAAAAAARD..."

I can hear the safety nazis now: "THINK OF THE CHILDREN WE COULD SAVE!"

My favorite quote from a terrible movie, Starship Troopers II:

Cowards always hide behind rules or children.

I'm done with this thread unless someone has any actual information on the the location of the DRL components or a procedure for disabling them.

GMMerlin
08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
How amazing. I completely agree that driver inattention is the #1 problem. Your solution is to put a carnaval light show on every car, and my solution is to expect people to watch where they're going, or they lose their license.

If DRL is such a good idea, imagine all the lives that could be spared...if we left the turnsignals on when we're not turning. And the brake lights should be always on, so people think we're stopping and don't tailgate so much.

Why don't we mandate that every vehicle on the road have a '70's style police lightbar, complete with siren, that is active as long as the key is in the ignition. I favor the european-style two-note siren. You know, the kind that if you're in the right frame of mind, sound like they're blaring "REEEEE--TAAAAAARD REEEEE--TAAAAAARD..."

I'm done with this thread unless someone has any actual information on the the location of the DRL components or a procedure for disabling them.

Dude you crack me up :lol:
You like taking things to the extreme, while we are expecting people to pay attention while they are driving, why dont we expect them to be courteous and polite too.
The problem is people drive like they are the only person on the road...taking away their license to drive is not going to change anything...just means we will have assholes without licenses driving around..
Leaving turn signals or brake lights on all the time is stupid and from your comments this tells me that you really dont have anymore ammo for your fight.
Because of human nature, passive safety items are installed on automobiles, just because you feel superior to the rest of the drivers out there because of your expertise behind the wheel ( I know you are that lone driver out there that has his hands at the 11 and 2 position on the wheel, never exceeds the posted speed limit, always leaves at least a 2 second following distance, always signals a turn in enough time to warn other drivers....I could go on :loser: ) you feel that you do not need the safety devices, I would disagree...you need the vehicle with all the safety devices on it so we can avoid you at all costs!

Oh yea, I know how to disable DRLs on your vehicle, but I have a policy of not giving out information regarding the disabling of safety devices..
Have a great day :rolleyes:

Demon_96
08-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Ladies and gents, we now have the flat out DUMBEST poster on this board. Everyone give him a hand.

Why don't you just spray paint over your headlights so they never come on....? dumbass.

dh4645
08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Ladies and gents, we now have the flat out DUMBEST poster on this board. Everyone give him a hand.

Why don't you just spray paint over your headlights so they never come on....? dumbass.

HAHA, dude, you just made me laugh so loud...and i am at work. :rofl:

i like when other vehicles on the road have DRL...it seems more safe...even though mr negative says there are no actual studies saying they are.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2034806

balboasdelight
08-15-2005, 08:29 AM
DRLs are one of those things (like, oddly enough, central vacuum systems) that just drive some people up the wall. No logic to it, really -- it's just some visceral reaction. NMA has been bitching about them for years ( http://www.motorists.org/issues/drl/index.html ), and dreaming up fallacious arguments, like that they make motorcycles less visible.

As for this "no proven study" stuff, I've been through that debate in a different forum. CA imposed daytime headlight use on certain sections of selected highways over fifteen years ago. Accident rates went down. The detractors' position was that the decrease in accident rates cannot be attributed to the headlight use requirement unless and until that requirement is removed, and we observe the accident (and death) rates climb in response. It's really a rather clever argument (in a perverse sort of way), since they know damn well that no DOT is going to make any roadway less safe just to establish some laboratory-grade "proof" of the efficacy of the measures that made it safer. Thus, the issue shall, for those who adopt such (il)logic, remain forever "unproven."

Of course, disabling one's *own* DRLs -- which one never sees -- cannot possibly reduce any alleged or perceived "distraction," but I guess it's all the DRL-haters have control over...

lt2000
08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
The 04' trailblazer has a switch for the DRL,if I want them off I simply switch them off.
gary

trailsharky
08-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I only know the option of pressing that one button 4 or 5 times
but I don't mind the DRL as they save me a decent amount on my car insurance
the automatic "headlights come on when it's dark" thing bothers me more

balboasdelight
08-16-2005, 07:50 AM
the automatic "headlights come on when it's dark" thing bothers me more

Why?

BlulytesTB
08-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey... you know what really pisses me off... Airbags! I have never been in an accident in which they have deployed! Why the hell should I pay for them? Maybe I should get a discount...

"here's your sign"

and if you don't know what that means... click here (http://allianceofthearcane.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8379&sid=cbe7f71e98d084363ef736cf88ad236a)

trailsharky
08-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Why?

there are times at night when I park or stop somewhere and don't want the lights on
or be parked and turn on the truck and not want the lights to come on

Add your comment to this topic!