Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0440 OBDII Code

headcreeps
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I have a 1999 Oldmobile Intrigue (3.8) and had this code come up about a month ago. I noticed the gas cap was busted so I replaced it. A couple of days ago, the same thing happened again. Same error code and same problem with the new gas cap. It seems the spring mechanism in the cap is breaking. The P0440 Code is also pending on the reader. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated since my knowledge of vehicle repair is limited.

BNaylor
08-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I have a 1999 Oldmobile Intrigue (3.8) and had this code come up about a month ago. I noticed the gas cap was busted so I replaced it. A couple of days ago, the same thing happened again. Same error code and same problem with the new gas cap. It seems the spring mechanism in the cap is breaking. The P0440 Code is also pending on the reader. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated since my knowledge of vehicle repair is limited.

Here's some info on odb-ii DTC error code P0440, EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction:

The evaporative leak detection diagnostic strategy is based on applying vacuum to the EVAP system and monitoring vacuum decay. The PCM monitors vacuum level via the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor input. At an appropriate time, the EVAP purge valve and the EVAP canister vent valve are turned ON, allowing engine vacuum to draw a small vacuum on the entire evaporative emission system. If a sufficient vacuum level cannot be achieved, a large leak or a malfunctioning EVAP purge valve is indicated. This can be caused by the following conditions:

Disconnected or malfunctioning fuel tank pressure sensor.
Missing or malfunctioning fuel cap.
Disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line.
Disconnected or damaged EVAP canister vent hose.
Disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked fuel tank vapor line.
Disconnected or malfunctioning EVAP purge valve.
Disconnected or malfunctioning EVAP canister vent valve.
Open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP canister vent or purge valve.
Damaged evaporative emissions canister.
Leaking fuel sender assembly O-ring.
Leaking fuel tank or fuel tiller neck Any of the above conditions can set DTC P0440.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

No VSS, TP sensor, HO2S, Misfire, IAT sensor, MAP sensor, Fuel Trim, Fuel Injector(s), EGR Pintle Position, ECT, or MAF sensor DTC(s) set.
Start up engine coolant temperature is between 4°C and 30°C (40°F and 86°F).
Start up intake air temperature is between 4°C and 30°C (40°F and 86°F).
Fuel tank fuel level is between 15% and 85%.
BARO is greater than 75 kPa.
System voltage is between 8 and 16 volts.

Add your comment to this topic!