99 I30 Misfire at Acceleration--Exhaust Smoke Follows

I30Owner99
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I have an 99 I30--69,000 miles. My problem seems to occur on usually very hot/humid days after driving for approximately 20 minutes at a constant 65-70 mph on the highway. When I try to accelerate from a stopped state or a slowed down state after that period of time, the engine misfires, the car hesistates (has no pickup) and a LARGE stream of smoke is immediately emitted out the exhaust.

The dealer found two burned out spark plugs at 65,000 miles (all had just been replaced by them at 61,000) and said that the pollution control valve was bad. They replaced spark plugs again and the pcv. I It ran fine (no misfiring and smoke)--still hesitated sometimes though--for three months.

Here it is three months later and the car started to do the same thing all over again! For the past two weeks I have noticed some of the same symptoms occuring again in the mornings such as white lingering puffs of smoke at engine startup after having driven it at distances and speed mentioned above the day before.

An appointment has been made once again for this Tuesday, Aug 17--I came across this wonderful forum just about an hour ago--I was hoping for some insight as to what the problem could be. I read some of the threads already posted regarding some commonality of symptoms--but my service engine light never comes on.

Anxiously await responses and or guidance!

Nahkapohjola
08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I have an 99 I30--69,000 miles. ...

Take u car now somewhere else: the real problem has never been corrected, only symptoms. All depends how the plugs look like: check at ngk.com for quidance and compare u plugs to those pics online. Heat related problem in coilpacks? Too advanced ignition (?) or sooty engine causing pre ignition? MAF?

White smoke is steam = cooling system problem; bad thermostat, leak, bad pump and/or air in the system. DO NOT drive until corrected, or u will ruin the engine...depends when/how much steam comes out, how urgent this issue is. Note: Burn byproduct is steam: normal cold engine, cold weather produces visible steam couple of minutes.

I30Owner99
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Take u car now somewhere else: the real problem has never been corrected, only symptoms. All depends how the plugs look like: check at ngk.com for quidance and compare u plugs to those pics online. Heat related problem in coilpacks? Too advanced ignition (?) or sooty engine causing pre ignition? MAF?

White smoke is steam = cooling system problem; bad thermostat, leak, bad pump and/or air in the system. DO NOT drive until corrected, or u will ruin the engine...depends when/how much steam comes out, how urgent this issue is. Note: Burn byproduct is steam: normal cold engine, cold weather produces visible steam couple of minutes.

Thanks, Nahkapohjola--I did go to the ngk.com site as you advised to take a look at the various fouled plug pictures--really to educate myself! It does seem to appear that only the symptoms are being addressed rather than the problem. I have printed the entire thread between you, bratfry, and Michael Green which was posted on 3-3-05 regarding a 1999 I30 engine missing sometimes. Great information!

I will certainly let you know the end result so others may also benefit.

Thanks, Maureen "I30Owner99"

Nahkapohjola
08-13-2005, 02:16 AM
... It does seem to appear that only the symptoms are being addressed ...

Thinking about the mentioned PCValve: actually I think that was correct measure - if these problems are from sooty engine. The PCV could leak (did it, who can tell) and cause oil fumes leak into engine. That would cause oil burn and foul particles to accumulate all over; this may cause pre-ignition that destroys plugs.

Does the engine consume oil? Nissan typically uses none, dark contrast to GM oilers... If so, there may be piston ring problem (do compression check) and/or valve stem seal. Btw, oil burn will cause blue exhaust.

I30Owner99
08-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I agree that the pcv was bad. Not having seen the orginal plugs, which the dealer mechanic described as being "fried" and after looking at the plug pictures you recommended, the "pre-ignition" picture was the only one that really looked FRIED. But if this is happening all over again within three months, something is causing that pcv to go bad.

I can remember how much pickup I had after that pcv and plug change. The car would beautifully and instantly jump off the accelerator--it was great. The idle was high, though, I thought; and the car was quick to move forward on its own without acceleration. But a couple of days later (before I brought it back to be readjusted), the fast idle was gone--seemed to have self adjusted?. . .anyway, soon after I did experience moments where the engine would seem to hesitate sometimes at acceleration (my quick pickup was gone).

I am definitely going to address the coilpacks when I take the car in for service. Maybe they are tied into the problem somehow.

The smoke blown out the exhaust after one of the original misfires mentioned in my first post was bluish in color--lots of it. The first misfire exhaust after the pcv and plug change was the same color but not as much.

To answer your oil consumption question, I have never had any problems. I have the oil and filters consitently changed and the dealer has always told me what great shape the car was in after these changes. . .so no indication of problems there.

I will surely let you know. . .thanks, again! M

Had to figure out what MAF was that you mentioned. Mass Airflow Sensor?

Nahkapohjola
08-13-2005, 02:18 PM
...MAF ... Mass Airflow Sensor?

Yes, stealerships love to $wap it, dont let them if its not provenly bad. Also coilpacks can be found cheaper anyplace else (I find it weird if coilpacks fail with this low mileage, but reading this forum, u can find ppl complainin broken coilpacks). You may let the shop tst those... Also tst Knock Sensor (if bad, retards ign) & O2 sensor(Oxygen input to ECU, used for injection adj.) . To tst these is quite fast with nissan Consult -device.

Autozone also leases similar tester if wanna DIY.

I30Owner99
08-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Hmmm. . .interesting. And what would those "magic words/codes/ratios/measurements" be for one who needs to "agree with" a provenly bad MAF prior to allowing it to be $wapped out? Just trying to prepare for the on$laught!

I did on two occasions ask the dealer to check out the fuel injectors at the beginning of this drama--which they said were fine--one would think that each of the sensors you mentioned would have been routinely checked in a fuel injector/spark plug thorough check as this. . .but then again. . .maybe not. Maybe because I never got an service engine light, they didn't bother.

I will certainly heed your advice and have each of the sensors you mentioned tested this time!

Again, good day, and I will keep you informed. Do you ever sleep? M

Nahkapohjola
08-14-2005, 02:41 AM
...And what would those "magic words/codes/ratios/measurements" be ....

There is a big problem with intermittent fault tracing: if your car functions at shop, all tests ok, what can the serviceman do? Swap parts... Now if MAF is swapped 700$ (?) and the fault reappears, I'd want refund on that (considering the plastic box contains couple of 5c resistors...). I dont actually know how each individual shop handles situations depicted above, but my experiences are bad.

They even may charge new plugs, but later u find those have not been changed. Airbags disappear during maintenance (according car magazine articles)... After my car steering was deliberately wrecked (by miracle no crash), I have 'never let my car from my sight'. I wont go to a shop where I am not allowed to be with it. Always ask (demand) the used parts, then the mechs cannot steal the stuff. Tell them youre showing the parts to me :) later on ...that keeps em on toes.

Seems to me that injectors not the problem. Sensor tst might not reveal anythin, dunno. Quite possibly they have done it: check your bill. But if I take my kid to a doc, I can sit beside. I want the same treatment with my car also, explanations what is done and why. I know most places they dont want that - but as long as I have the money, they have to listen.

Try to find manual for u car and read it through. Dunno if theres online version, check the Favorite Links at left. Your Nissan contains the same sensors so reading about other Nissans sensors will never hurt. Yours are located differently to maxima; depicted here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/9
= what sensor tsts should give with digital multimeter.

Sleeping at night, while youre awake, on the other side of our globe:)

I30Owner99
08-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Okay--here is the scoop--well sort of. . .The spark plug in Cylinder 1 was oily/sooty--not soaking wet just gummy--burned out though. The problem was beginning to worsen as it did prior to the pcv valve and plug changes. It was unanimous that the problem was an engine problem--$1,500 to drop the engine (yes, dealership)--Must have been using up some oil as you had questioned! Anyway, they said it could be a bad piston ring (if so, need to replace), bent valve (if so, valve job), scratch in actual cylinder. . .(new engine)--The least amount of money it would have cost me was between 4 and 5 grand. The most would have been between 8 and 10 grand (new engine). Money that I would have preferred putting towards another vehicle. So, I traded it, and bought a 2002 I35 with 27,000 miles on it--wonderful shape-- and has already had most of the 30,000 mile check done on it. . .AND I PURCHASED WARRANTY OUT THE WAZOO!!!!!!

I really like this 02 better. It is a joy to drive! Hopefully, I did not make a bad decision with this one--it all worked out in the end! I think this one is going to be a little gem--it was just waiting there for me to claim it! Thanks for responding to my initial question--it has been nice chatting with you from the other side of the world!

Good day, Maureen

Nahkapohjola
08-25-2005, 04:38 AM
...Hopefully, I did not make a bad decision ...

No decision is the worst kind. I think this one was the best: there's no reason to fall in love with a vehicle - alas, we tend to be unreasonable and lot$ service shops live well b/c of that.

Add your comment to this topic!