Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 century problem with the choke

tremblay
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
HI, I have an 1989 buick century 3.3L that runs really well, except for one little problem. Everytime the car is in park or neutral it idles realy fast, seems like the choke doesnt want to come off, i press the pedal down and give it some gas but it doesnt want to come off and when im at a stop the car still wants to go forward, sometimes i dont even need to give it gas and it moves on itself heh. I have read somewhere on this forum that some guy changed the engine strut mount and it fixed his problem wich seems to be similar in some ways. Im going to try that out see what happens since its a pretty basic bolt on, any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GTP Dad
08-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, check the idle air control motor to see if it is sticking. It controls the hot and cold idle as the computer sets the idle speed. You may also have a vacuum leak that is causing the idle to be too high. Check all the hoses to see if one may be cracked or broken. You may also want to check for a bad intake gasket since a leak there will cause similar issues.

tremblay
08-13-2005, 09:49 AM
thanks, because that dogbone did absolutly nothing

Add your comment to this topic!