Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trunk lid motor... help!!!

belami
08-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi,
I am here the first time, so please allow me to introduce myself
I live in Prague, Czech Republic and got addicted to American cars. Unfortunately, the GM dealers here are not really experienced in Buicks, so I have to do a lot by myself... :smokin:

Here my first question:
my 92 PA (without keyless entry) has a motor at the trunk lid to open by button and a motor with a connector under the trunk carpet. A friend sent me a switch that is connected to the lower motor (set up on 2 contact lips) and a 4-wire connector is attached to it. There is a small klicking switch at the side (operated by the metal trunk lid holder) and a flat switch at the top.
I connected the switch to the motor and the cable - and the lid holder raised until the small switch was turned around and stopped the motor. Unfortunately, that's all it does. No chance to make it go down again by switch - only by jump wiring the motor... :mad:

In the trunk lid, there is an additional wire with a 2-wire connector - not connected to anything.
I read that there has to be a switch at the trunk lid also. Can anybody make a picture or describe what else is needed to make it work again?

Thanks a lot for answers

belami

oliverjp
08-27-2005, 11:20 AM
My experience is with a 1994 PA but probably applies here:
The lower motor will normally retract the latch when you close the trunk lid. Then it should retract and pull the lid down. You should be able to make the motor retract by flipping the switch on the trunk lid in front of the latch (this switch also turns off the trunk light). This switch will be pressed up when the lid is lowered. I suspect that this is what should be connected to the 2-wire connector you describe. Does your trunk light work? I have posted a photo of this switch in the General Automotive Photographs section titled "trunk lid lamp switch '94 Buick PA".
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/372263trunklidswitch.JPG

The lid on my 1994 PA would not retract and I took the lower switch (like the one that your friend sent) apart (I had to drill out 4 rivets) and cleaned the contacts. When reassembled (I used sheet metal screws to repace the small rivets) it now works but I will order a replacement as soon as I can.

belami
08-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi,
thank yoiu very much for your answer, I think this is exactly the piece of information I had been looking for... There is no trunk lid sensor attached at my PA. The light is working fine, but I have one with a level switch. Nevertheless, if the switch on the picture is responsible for pulling down the lid, I can order it to make it work again.

Thank you very much once more, greetings from Prague!!! :bigthumb:

oliverjp
08-28-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi,
thank yoiu very much for your answer, I think this is exactly the piece of information I had been looking for... There is no trunk lid sensor attached at my PA. The light is working fine, but I have one with a level switch. Nevertheless, if the switch on the picture is responsible for pulling down the lid, I can order it to make it work again.

Thank you very much once more, greetings from Prague!!! :bigthumb:

I would check this by connecting a wire beteen the contacts of the two wire connector that I suspect goes to the switch. The motor should retract the latch hook. When the wire is disconnected the hook should extend. This is what happens when I manually close the switch.

Remember, I have a 1994 PA and I have no repair guide so we do not know for certain that your PA is the same.

belami
08-29-2005, 10:23 AM
I do not think that the differences are significant - the trunk lid looks similar. If I check the 2-wire connector and there is no 12 Volts (only ++ or --), then I will short cut it to see what happens.

I will report success (or failure... )

Thanks alot!

I would check this by connecting a wire beteen the contacts of the two wire connector that I suspect goes to the switch. The motor should retract the latch hook. When the wire is disconnected the hook should extend. This is what happens when I manually close the switch.

Remember, I have a 1994 PA and I have no repair guide so we do not know for certain that your PA is the same.

Add your comment to this topic!