Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 neon turbo and rebuild?

lanz
08-11-2005, 07:39 AM
hey there im lookin to get some more power out of my neon. ive heard of two diff turbo kits you can get for the 2000 model. the Chillfactory and the Hahns stage 1 and 2. now my question is do i need a rebuild if im only doin about a 8psi turbo. my car has about 89k miles and a brand new Auto-transmission. also the cars oil ALWAYS has been changed on 3000 miles. Now i was wondering if its possible to put one of the turbos on without rebuilding the engine. if i can which one is the best to use. and how much HP would i gain.

2000 neon base model

custom short ram intake
highflow muffler
accel street wires
boshs plat2s
pacesetter headers
highflow cat

maykelcj
08-11-2005, 02:49 PM
hey there im lookin to get some more power out of my neon. ive heard of two diff turbo kits you can get for the 2000 model. the Chillfactory and the Hahns stage 1 and 2. now my question is do i need a rebuild if im only doin about a 8psi turbo. my car has about 89k miles and a brand new Auto-transmission. also the cars oil ALWAYS has been changed on 3000 miles. Now i was wondering if its possible to put one of the turbos on without rebuilding the engine. if i can which one is the best to use. and how much HP would i gain.

the hahns soupouse to be reliable at around 7 to 8 psi without modifications to the engine. To me it depends how you drive and the care you take of the car. your car is 89k miles, so I'll recomend to star saving for an engine rebuilt. It is not that it will get broken soon, but you are going to boost an engine were all major services are scheduled to be around the 100k mark.
timming belt, water pump. bearings, etc. other than that, running 8psi on the 420a engine is nothing the angine can't handle. The only bad thing is you are goung to get a lot of red faces from some import raicers. :naughty: :iceslolan

das2123
08-11-2005, 06:48 PM
you are going to boost an engine were all major services are scheduled to be around the 100k mark; timing belt, water pump. bearings, etc. other than that, running 8psi on the 420a engine is nothing the engine can't handle.All great points...If you go turbo you will want to do the timing belt and water pump along with it. Check your compression and if it is good, then I would not worry about the rebuild just yet if you are only looking for 8-10 psi.

Nw about which kit to go with; the chill factory, I have heard, is a great kit but unfortunately they are not taking any orders right now and they are higher priced than the Hahn. They are/were having problems filling orders right now. I would go with the Hahn Stage 2 turbo, that comes with the intercooler. They have established themselves as a reliable turbo for the neon, and the kit comes complete with whatever you need.

maykelcj
08-11-2005, 07:31 PM
They have established themselves as a reliable turbo for the neon, and the kit comes complete with whatever you need.

:iagree: das is correct. the hahn turbo is the best bet I have yet to hear any complains. the only thing I heard is it will give you lots of power for your money!!!! :naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!