Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

custom system layout -- tell me what you think

rs97eclipse1695
08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
whats up everybody...so i was sitting here bored because my girlfriend and all my friends were at work...and i look over and see the 10" sub i was using while i was building my fiberglass box laying there collecting dust...went out back to my car and an hour later....i ended up with this....let me know what you think...

oh and if you want a how to let me know

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/916000-916999/916301_59_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/916000-916999/916301_58_full.jpg

SilvrEclipse
08-10-2005, 08:39 PM
looks good, how does it sound? I have 4 10s in my eclipse and the subs dont have a box, they are just mounted to the board facing up, and they sound like shit right now, I am going to have to go back and add a box to each speaker

rs97eclipse1695
08-10-2005, 08:47 PM
thats how the 10 is...no box...its just using the limited air space below due to my fiberglass box below it...ill try n get pics of the underside up tomorrow...sounds decent for no box...dont think i can hear it over the 12s below though :iceslolan

tr10av
08-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Looks pretty good. How tight is it in there with the ridges on your cover? Also when you open up the hatch does it pull the wires or is there alot of slack? You might want to run those so they don't hang down or if the wires get hit it might knock something out.
Something I was thinking about doing kind of like that was putting speakers in my headrests facing the back seat, don't know though yet if I'm brave enough to do it.

scottsee
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
lol. in all seriousness. you just had wayyy to much time on your hands!?!? Put it in a box.

david-b
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Seems like the window might rattle a lot. Subs need boxes. Nice though

TreeFrog
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
weired

Thor06
08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Not to be a huge ass hole, but I dont like it. Very good idea though.

Shpyder
08-11-2005, 10:31 PM
There are two types of woofers, as far as encolsures go (as far as I know).

There are enclosed subwoofers, that require an enclosure to sound good.

And then there are what are called "free-air" woofers, that do NOT require an enclosure, and are meant to be put on rear boards such as the picture above.

Putting a free-air sub in an enclosure will not sound good. Running an enclosed woofer without a box won't sound good.

Free-air woofers are the shit. I ran a 10" pioneer in my sentra, mounted on the rear rack. Just one amp powered that woofer, 4 speakers, and the head unit. That system hit harder than the two 12's in a ported box with a huge amp I have in my Spyder. Just my $0.02, and something to think about.

-Josh-
08-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Although that was probably an easy install, i have to say it looks pretty clean, almost like it belongs there. Nice work.

rs97eclipse1695
08-12-2005, 10:35 AM
thanks to everybody who likes it...and those of you who dont...its cool everybody is entitled to their oppinion...personally i like it...and im not too worried about the sounds its making because i have 2 12s right below it in a fiberglass box that are plenty loud...i wanted the 10 mainly for looks because i love it when somebody sees something on my car they like and just kinda stares at me as i go by...yesterday the dude at the drive through was checkin it out :smile:...but i dont know...it may be gone by the end of the summer...just something i did to end the bordom for an hour

ill try to get some pics up tonight of what it looks like underneath...the strings arent attached to my hatch any more so the cover stays put when i open the hatch...and as far as the curves around the 10...couldnt get it to sit flat...so i cut out a board to fit under it...cut out the same size hole in the cover for the board and mounted it with zip ties:loser: to the cover...then mounted the sub to the piece of wood...still looks good even if i open my hatch...i just have to recarpet the cover again because theres a few slashes in it where i was cutting it out...but i have to carpet my fiberglass too anyways so ill do it all at once with the same stuff...

Add your comment to this topic!