Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacement Engine for 1994 Wrangler?

66Tuxman
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi, I'm not new to the whole jeep scene because I am a Jeep fanatic. But I have not bought a reletively new jeep until now. I just bought a 1994 Wrangler with an engine rap. I am currently looking for an engine in my area but have several questions because I am only 17 years old. I am fully aware of all the different mechanical systems of a jeep and engine but there are a few things that are still a little fuzzy to me. First of all I'm being told that the 1996 and up 4 cylinder engine will fit into a 1994 stock chassis. The only difference is the coolant temperature sensor. Two different types or something. My main question is, will the 1996 2.5L engine be a direct bolt in to my 1994 Wrangler or is there modifications to the engine mounts and such. Also would changing to the newer 4 cyl. mean that I will have to replace the computer system? Will the swap be pretty much easy as pie because if not, I'm going to keep looking for an older engine that will be a direct bolt in. It was just in the area so I am wondering if it will work. Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

JEEP1997
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
I purchased a 97 Jeep stocked with a 4 cylinder for $500.00 with a serious engine knock. Tried all new lifters, NO HELP. I needed to replace the engine. I replaced it with a 94 engine. I did run into a couple snags but noting serious. Depending on what exact is wrong with the original, I had to swap-out left side mount, I kept the original intake manifold...... This is not a difficult job if you have patience... If you would like to contact me via Email......... SnapOnTools@comcast.net

66Tuxman
08-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Alright well if it's going to involve possibly changing mounting bracket locations I think I will then stick with as close to my year vehicle as possible. I really just want a reliable daily driver, not a full blown horsepower increase. Just something that will get me to and from college. Anyways thanks for the advice. Can I pick anyone elses brain on this subject?

Add your comment to this topic!