Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 GMC Jimmy questions

tblake
08-10-2005, 04:27 PM
hey all. I just recently drove my g/f's Jimmy, and there must be a lot of things wrong with it, and I was just going to post to ask a few questions. First off. It starts and idle's fine, but it idles at about 900rpms when warm. Now, I'm not an expert at things, but I have the 3.1 in my lumina, and it idles lower. Arent larger motors supposed to idle low? Whats your Jimmy idle at? It seems to not have very good low end torque either. Any ideas what might be the cause?

Next question is the ABS controller. Supposedly she said it went out???? Now, they unplugged it, and the ABS light is lit up on the dash, but I dont honestly dont think that this is to blame, might be a speed sensor, I think they just unhooked it when they had a problem with abs. What do you think? Is the ABS controller a known issue with these? The brake pedal is also very hard when the car is running. I put my foot on it, and started the car, and the pedal didnt sink at all. I think there may be another issue with the brakes.

This Jimmy was never really taken good care of. So now its kind of up to me to get it in good shape again. What do you guys think should be done? Thankyou.

tblake
08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
oh, yeah, its a 4 door (SLE I believe) 4x4 with the 4.3 V6 Vortec. I'm not a fan of vortec's but, you know. not my car ;) any advice? Thanks again.

herkyhawki
08-11-2005, 09:39 AM
A good place to start is to remove and clean the IAC (idle air control) valve. Also clean the bore that you remove it from. It is on top left, front of intake. Round valve with 2 torq bolts. A new one is fairly cheap too if you want to just replace it.

tblake
08-11-2005, 11:34 AM
ok, thanks, I havnt really started to rip into it yet. I was going to give it a new fuel filter and air filter, check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, and go from there. Whats your warm jimmy idle at? probably about 400 to 500 rpm's right? How about the abs deal? What do you think? whats the worst that could happen if I hook the abs controller back up? I kind of want it to trip an abs code so I can hook it up to a scanner. Any ideas? Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!