Page updated on 11-19-2017

Mercury A/C Clicking

ctyk23
08-10-2005, 12:34 PM
99 V6 Mercury Cougar with 76K miles. We have noticed that when the A/C is running, there is a loud clicking noise coming out from under the hood. When the A/C is turned off, the clicking stops. I had taken to a local mechanic and he stated that the A/C compressor, drier, condenser, and orifice tube assembly all need replacing to the tune of $1,600. He also stated a glitch in the manufacturing by Ford that makes it where all these need replacing when the compressor might be the only reeal issue. Is anyone aware of why the compresser, drier and assembly all need replacing when the compressor might be the only problem? Thanks for any input!

wasmussen
08-20-2005, 03:32 PM
99 V6 Mercury Cougar with 76K miles. We have noticed that when the A/C is running, there is a loud clicking noise coming out from under the hood. When the A/C is turned off, the clicking stops. I had taken to a local mechanic and he stated that the A/C compressor, drier, condenser, and orifice tube assembly all need replacing to the tune of $1,600. He also stated a glitch in the manufacturing by Ford that makes it where all these need replacing when the compressor might be the only reeal issue. Is anyone aware of why the compresser, drier and assembly all need replacing when the compressor might be the only problem? Thanks for any input!

We have problems with what looks like the heater core but bigger in our Mercury Cougar! It is hard to get to because 10 hours is involved removing the dash and airbags to put the 100 dollar part in. He put in freon and added which is important OIL which is made for air conditioners and put in the same fittings as the freon goes into.

He said when freon is added to a car the oil needs it too because you lose both at the same time. If you don't add the oil then the condenser will go out getting very hot and blowing out the other parts,drier,orfice and costing roughly 1500 to 2000 dollars to fix. I think your mechanic doesn't either know about the oil or isn't telling you something. Unless you already had to add freon many times due to a leak somewhere. Hope this helps.

Number One
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
99 V6 Mercury Cougar with 76K miles. We have noticed that when the A/C is running, there is a loud clicking noise coming out from under the hood. When the A/C is turned off, the clicking stops.

Hello,

I just noticed the same problem on my Mercury Cougar V6 2000 (96K miles).

"Clicking" occurs when "mode selector" is in one of following positions:

AC, MAX AC, Defrost, Defrost+Floor

Checking the manual, I realized that the air conditioning is ON in all those modes, when T > 4C (39F), so it must be an A/C problem!

How did it turn out in your case?Did you take your car to another mechanic or dealership?

Thanks!

tpdwn
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
the mechanic recomended to replace the orifice tube, accumulator and condenser for the following reasons. (1) when the compressor fails, it normally breaks down internally therefore all the "debri" that broke will end up in your system. The orifice tube is the first thing to clog up. If you dont change the orifice tube, your new compressor will have a high head pressure causing premature failure. (2) The accumulator has to be changed because this stores excess oil in the system, and will collect all the "debri" from the failed compressor. Also, the accumulator has dessicant that dries out moisture in the system. Reusing the old accumulator or "saturated" accumulator is like using a wet rag to dry a spill compared to a dry rag to clean up a spill. (3) The condenser can be reused but if you can afford it, change it. The condeser consist of small tubing to change the High pressure gases (freon gas) to High pressure liquid (liquid freon)........again "debri" can clog these tubings. Just like your radiator, when the tubings can clog and create a poor cooling system. In your a/c, when the condeser clogs up, it can cause high pressure in the system causing costly and pre-mature failures.
Also, most compressor manufacturers/ retailers WILL NOT guarantee the compressor if you do not change the orifice tube, accumulator and oil.
I hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!