Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help 94 Blazer Struck By Lightning

rob37335
08-09-2005, 10:25 PM
My blazer was sitting about 6 feet below the power lines coming into my house. It came in the house and got several electronics inside. This morning I got in the truck and the radio, air, digital dash (only has check engine and ABS lights) and power door locks wouldn't work. It appears to have came in through the drivers side power mirror ( which is shattered and the switch was melted). Upon driving it I found that the transmission seems to have got stuck in second gear. I have inspected most of the wiring and found no melted wires, checked the fuses and found three blown but replacing them didn't help, and checked the computer which gave me the code 12 only but I guess that means it is working. The alt. may had got it because the wiring that I can see inside appears very dark.

What else should I look for. The only advice the good ol' auto zone boys could give was I may have to replace the entire wiring harness. There has to be something that would have blown and stopped it from getting everything. It starts and runs good so the fuel injection system didn't get fried. It is the 4.3 4x4 with auto transmission. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

s10blazerman4x4
08-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Would your insurance cover that or no?Sounds like the gremlins.I guess you could start replacing wires that are bad but i am not the expert on the matter.

drdd
08-09-2005, 10:46 PM
struck by lightning .... kick-ass!!

sorry, I know that's not helpful ... just funny as hell ...

on a serious note ... glad no one was hurt ...

brings new meaning to the phrase " you getting any spark?"

.. next time, try a "trickle charge"

My blazer was sitting about 6 feet below the power lines coming into my house. It came in the house and got several electronics inside. This morning I got in the truck and the radio, air, digital dash (only has check engine and ABS lights) and power door locks wouldn't work. It appears to have came in through the drivers side power mirror ( which is shattered and the switch was melted). Upon driving it I found that the transmission seems to have got stuck in second gear. I have inspected most of the wiring and found no melted wires, checked the fuses and found three blown but replacing them didn't help, and checked the computer which gave me the code 12 only but I guess that means it is working. The alt. may had got it because the wiring that I can see inside appears very dark.

What else should I look for. The only advice the good ol' auto zone boys could give was I may have to replace the entire wiring harness. There has to be something that would have blown and stopped it from getting everything. It starts and runs good so the fuel injection system didn't get fried. It is the 4.3 4x4 with auto transmission. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

blazee
08-09-2005, 11:03 PM

What else should I look for. The only advice the good ol' auto zone boys could give was I may have to replace the entire wiring harness. There has to be something that would have blown and stopped it from getting everything. It starts and runs good so the fuel injection system didn't get fried. It is the 4.3 4x4 with auto transmission. THANKS!!!!!!!!!Sounds like you have a dead circuit. Check to see if you have battery voltage on the back of the alternator. If not, it might have popped the fusible link when the alternator blew.

Your tranny not shifting is probably a result of the dead circuit not supplying power to the shift solenoids.

BlazerLT
08-10-2005, 02:32 AM
That or the ECM is fried.

rob37335
08-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Would your insurance cover that or no?Sounds like the gremlins.I guess you could start replacing wires that are bad but i am not the expert on the matter.

I only got liability insurance on it so that would mean no coverage for this. How do I check the fusible link to see if it got fried.

I guess it is funny though a little hard to laugh till I get it running again. Maybe it will have some type of mutant powers. My wife suggested I change the name across the windshield from black beauty to southern thunder and put lightning bolts down the sides.

I will let you know when I get it figured out. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

BlazerBoyLT98
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
I wish you the best of luck in this matter. I am glad no one was hurt and I hope you can get her running top notch again

DINO55
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
I only got liability insurance on it so that would mean no coverage for this. How do I check the fusible link to see if it got fried.

I guess it is funny though a little hard to laugh till I get it running again. Maybe it will have some type of mutant powers. My wife suggested I change the name across the windshield from black beauty to southern thunder and put lightning bolts down the sides.

I will let you know when I get it figured out. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

DO YOU HAVE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE????????
IT HIT YOUR HOME AS WELL.................:2cents:

Rick Norwood
08-12-2005, 08:43 AM
That or the ECM is fried.

I second the motion on the Fried ECM. If this truck is running good and the battery isn't going dead on you after a couple of days, it is more than likely charging. Take into AutoZone and get a free Charging circuit and battery check. If you haven't found any melted wires, I gotta go with the fried ECM.

rob37335
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I again messed with this truck this weekend and got nowhere. The alt. seems to be alright (checked at autozone). I went ahead and got me a new rebuilt digital dash from the guy on ebay because I figured it would be the first thing to fry. (it still doen't work, no power) The only thing of interest I have found the fuses in the fuse panel for the air, brakes and gauge lights are not getting power, these were the ones blown when the lightning struck. I checked all the fuses with a tester and these three are not getting power, have not been able to find out why yet but have noticed that these three are in the same area of the fuse panel and located one on top of the other, should I try to remove the panel and check the wires?

Rick Norwood
08-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I again messed with this truck this weekend and got nowhere. The alt. seems to be alright (checked at autozone). I went ahead and got me a new rebuilt digital dash from the guy on ebay because I figured it would be the first thing to fry. (it still doen't work, no power) The only thing of interest I have found the fuses in the fuse panel for the air, brakes and gauge lights are not getting power, these were the ones blown when the lightning struck. I checked all the fuses with a tester and these three are not getting power, have not been able to find out why yet but have noticed that these three are in the same area of the fuse panel and located one on top of the other, should I try to remove the panel and check the wires?
This could be a long shot, but when my Daughter's ignition switch took a dump, most of the dash gages would not work. The truck started and ran fine but the gages didn't work nor did the odometer. Do a google search on the following number:

01-07-30-002c

This is a service bulletin that covered the faulty ignition switch. If you have no power to those fuses, you probably don't have power to the gages either.

You might possibly have a bad ignition switch.

Just a guess, good luck.

rob37335
08-15-2005, 08:35 PM
This could be a long shot, but when my Daughter's ignition switch took a dump, most of the dash gages would not work. The truck started and ran fine but the gages didn't work nor did the odometer. Do a google search on the following number:

01-07-30-002c

This is a service bulletin that covered the faulty ignition switch. If you have no power to those fuses, you probably don't have power to the gages either.

You might possibly have a bad ignition switch.

Just a guess, good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about replacing this switch just to be sure anyway (only a $9.00 part, but looks to be hell to change). I believe the problem you are referring to is on newer blazers, not sure though.

tom3
08-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Fusible link? Check closely the bigger power wires (not the main cable) out by the battery. Look for wire with a different looking short section with a rubber piece at each end. Twist this section and look for a break inside the wire that has been burnt through.

Add your comment to this topic!