Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Olds Delta 88' 3.8L Stalling

osu1978
08-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok guys I really need some help here as I am at a loss. Everything runs great on this car but it stalls on me once a week. This happens at any speed and when idling or steady driving; never when accelerating. MAF replaced, computer replaced, fuel pump and relay pass tests. Grounds have been checked.

After stalling, I can usually start it up in neutral or if I pull over and put her in park, but sometimes restarting can take a couple minutes. Occaisonally it takes a few cranks to cold start but seems to have more problems hot starting.

At this point, what do you think the culprit is? I will probably be replacing one or two more things and if they do not fix the problem I will purchase a new car. This is the non-supercharged version.
Thanks

GTP Dad
08-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Try the crank position sensor and the ignition module. The CPS when it starts going bad will cause the vehicle to stall without warning. It will get progressively worse. If that does not fix the problem then the next step would be to replace the ignition module as it may be overheating.

Finally, did the security light come on and stay on for a few minutes when it stalled? If so that may be where your problem lies.

osu1978
08-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info...
I forgot to mention when it stalls everythings remains on but the engine. Fans blow and radio stays on. There are also no warning lights such as check engine, etc.

GTP Dad
08-10-2005, 07:11 PM
That is why I think your problem is in the CPS since everything stays on. The CPS usually will cause this type of stalling but will not show a CEL when it is going out.

osu1978
08-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks!

cuzzy
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok guys I really need some help here as I am at a loss. Everything runs great on this car but it stalls on me once a week. This happens at any speed and when idling or steady driving; never when accelerating. MAF replaced, computer replaced, fuel pump and relay pass tests. Grounds have been checked.

After stalling, I can usually start it up in neutral or if I pull over and put her in park, but sometimes restarting can take a couple minutes. Occaisonally it takes a few cranks to cold start but seems to have more problems hot starting.

At this point, what do you think the culprit is? I will probably be replacing one or two more things and if they do not fix the problem I will purchase a new car. This is the non-supercharged version.
Thanks
dude i have the same make and year 1995 olds lss and it started stalling on me too, everything else is great, i replaced everything, alternator,battery, sparkplugs, pcv, air and oil filters trannie filters new trannie fluind oil change , flushed radiator added new fluid, blew out my air intake manifold and still got the darn stalls, and no check engine light, when i slow down or make a turn going slow the car just shuts off, but my radio and everything esle remains on, i think those guys are right about the crank case sensor, thats the only thing i did not change, it is located behind the harmonic balance pully which i can't get off, it has a 15/16th bolt that is a b_t_h to get off, i broke my SK pry bar trying to get the bolt off, i am going to my brotherin laws shop on sat to use his 650 pound torque air gun to get the bolt off, the sensor is right behind it , i will let you know how i made out on sunday because i think it will be an all nighter, if i can save some one the misery i went through it will be worth it. p.s. my security light on the dash came on once or twice the first coulple of stalls, but no more since i did all the other crap listed above, good luck dude, the car rides like a dream that is why i am trying to save its life,let you know the deal sunday night peace out

Add your comment to this topic!