Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter running

koolman1
08-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I have a 1992 Ford E150 van. I have replaced ingnition switch , solenoid on fender and 2 used starters and one new. Starter keeps running after engine starts.

mrfixit64857
08-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry you spent all that cash... the first thing to check when a starter continues to "run" is that it is disengaging from the flywheel. if it isnt, it needs shimming. and a replacement starter won't do it alone... housing tolerances are fairly similar and a new starter will probably hang just like that last one. If shimming doesnt stop it, then theres a short in the line... but if that were the case, the starter would run as soon as you turn the key ON.

truckdude239
09-25-2005, 08:04 AM
i know how upsetting this can be me and a friend worked on his after someone replaced his switch. we went tough 3 starters. before long we gave up. we sent it to a man we know that works on cars. alot of common mistakes is that people take the stearing coulmon apart (if we talking about same switch the switch (the key switch) is removed by looking on the bottom of the steering coulmon there is a small hole turn the key on and take a small screw driver and push up. turn the new key switch to on push the pin in insert the switch and then turn it to the off postion boom its locked in place. the guy that put my friends in took everything apart. but turns out he bent the rod going to the ingnition switch at the base of the steering coulmon and the switch at the base of columon was getting stuck in the starting. but don't let people fool u ford starters like the one on your van and most ford cars 95 and below don't take shims they are push in and bolt. let me know if this helps u.

david

tnuhad
07-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I went through the same problem as you describe. The starter kept trying to engage after the key switch was released. I replaced the ignition switch and the problem continued. Next I replaced the starter solenoid and the problem still continued. I was at a loss. I finally traced down the wires that were at fault and it was my nuetral safewty switch. The insulation had become brittle and broken off where it mounts to the transmission and the wires were shorting. I just jumpered the wires until I got a new switch installed. Problem solved.

Add your comment to this topic!