Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission problems, 3 strikes and your out!

DelFazio
08-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, I have a 2002 ZX2 wtih 68,000 miles on it. Right now, its getting its 3rd transmission put in. And everytime they put one in, it fixes the slipping problem for about 3,000miles then starts up again and they wont fix it untill it complety dies. What else could be causing these too keep going bad?? Its like the fix the end result but dont look to find out why they are breaking. I've also had a constant brake problem, always low and trouble stopping over 35mph.... anyone else?

ReenieCJ24
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
I have a 99 ZX2 and lately when I come to a complete stop and then hit the gas either to floor it or to just go my car jerks or bucks before it actually get in gear and moves. I thought it was a fluid problem, but was soon to learn that it is not the problem.. I haven't had it checked out by anyone yet with fear that it is the transmission.. Hearing your problems, I'd just as well get a new car.. wouldn't want to deal with that.

Xtra_X
08-23-2005, 12:42 PM
ZX2's have a notoriously bad tranny. Is yours an Auto or Man? If you have a man check out www.ZXtuner.com They have an up graded transmission that alot of people have success with.

DelFazio
08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
ZX2's have a notoriously bad tranny. Is yours an Auto or Man? If you have a man check out www.ZXtuner.com They have an up graded transmission that alot of people have success with.
It's an auto. The dealers are blowing smoke up my ass too saying these are good tranny's. What happens, they replace it then 2 or 3,000 miles later it starts to slip untill it breaks in about 20,000miles then they pop another one in. They are horrible. Ford has put in over $12,000 worth of parts in this car under warranty.

zx2srdotnet
10-09-2005, 03:19 PM
It's an auto. The dealers are blowing smoke up my ass too saying these are good tranny's. What happens, they replace it then 2 or 3,000 miles later it starts to slip untill it breaks in about 20,000miles then they pop another one in. They are horrible. Ford has put in over $12,000 worth of parts in this car under warranty.

The automatic is the biggest POS ever in a car. I would see if i can file for a lawsuit if they arnt giving you bad tranny's.

Oh the zxtuner is a HUGE pos it breaks just as easy as a stock manual.

tagman11
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Hate to brag (don't wanna jinx it ;) but my manual has held up real well through all sorts of abuse... I do have a question though. My friend works at Midas and says that manual transmissions should be flushed or whatever just like the autos; is this true, and what would the procedure be called? I know, rookie question, just trying to keep everthing goin smooth. I've pushed enough money into this car....
BTW, ~56,000 miles

AltecZX2
01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Hate to brag (don't wanna jinx it ;) but my manual has held up real well through all sorts of abuse... I do have a question though. My friend works at Midas and says that manual transmissions should be flushed or whatever just like the autos; is this true, and what would the procedure be called? I know, rookie question, just trying to keep everthing goin smooth. I've pushed enough money into this car....
BTW, ~56,000 miles

i have heared both yes and no on this. Personaly I change mine every 30k.

Markb873
01-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Strangely I heard don't change the fluid because of age the old fluid basicially holds the seals together and if you change it the trans starts to leak. I changed mine though 20k ago and don't have a leak or a trans problem at all so I suppose it doesn't matter. My manual is still in good shape although the clutch has about had it. As for the Auto Trans with my Focus that has a simular trans with my ZX2, The fluid ran a smidge bit low and was enough to cause stumbling untill i eventually busted some gears. I think that the dipstick must be wrong because there was no tolorance for a lack of fluid.

ZX2000
01-15-2006, 04:01 AM
I've changed mine 3 times in 72k miles. 1st tranny's still goin strong.

zx2guy
01-15-2006, 06:59 PM
i do have a little input on the topics, i have an 03 zx2, and my tranny has its own quirks, i dont beat on it or anything of the sort ive taken it in 5 times and every time they Minorly fix the problem... my plan is to let it go till something gets loose enough that the tech goes what the hell? and finnally either fixs it or swaps it seeing as it is still under warrentee. also if you take your car in 3 times (but you must be the 1st owner and only the first owner) you can take the car back and the car goes under the lemon law and you can either get another car or they have to buy it off you for equal to current msrp. < i think but im no lawyer. and manual trans... ALWAYS ALWAYS treat it like you would an auto. always take it in every 30 grand because the fliud just like your oil, and auto tranny fluid gets old, gets build up, and like auto tranny fluid> gets burnt. i work as a mechanic and i hear it all the time about how people overlook it and by the time we swap it... its sludge, there is no dipstick because it doesnt rely on fluid turbulance, its mostly mechanical. so if you are a car person(and wish to know), there is a port where you check your fluid like the old style diff's ( the finger dip test) under the car.

AltecZX2
01-16-2006, 11:03 AM
warrenty? you have a head package...you have no warenty.... so lemon law does not apply to you any more.

Rafiyq
12-18-2007, 07:18 PM
To all ZX2 owners with the rough 1-2 shift and band failure. The problem is with the valve body itself. When engineers create a transmission, they have to compensate a hard shift with something called a shift feel. What it does is soften the shift by reducing the pressure going to the appropriate clutches, and bands, so the ride stays smooth. Sometime the engineers will miscalculate their numbers and a make the shift feel a little too soft causing the clutches to burn or the band to fail prematurely. Do some research and look for the shift kit that will help with that problem. Matter of fact, go to www.jaycoautomotive.com (http://www.jaycoautomotive.com). They have a shift kit for about $80 to fix the problem. Buy the kit and go to your local ASE certified Transmission shop that you trust, and ask if they will install the kit for you. That should solve that problem if severe damage hasn't been done. Do not fault the dealership mechanics for not knowing how to solve the problem theirselves. I'm a GM technician myself and in the automotive industry instead of really teaching a tech how to look deep down and find the root of the problem. They hand them the answer and tell them what to do. Plus most technicians do not like to get into a transmission anyways. Transmissions are my specialty. And yes I'm a proud owner of a 2000 Ford Zx2 and my automatic transmission is rated at 210hp, not nearly the power my engine puts out. Any questions E-mail me.

Add your comment to this topic!