Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt 98 dodge, is it a non interference engine?

gasshog2
08-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Timing belt, 1998 Dodge Stratus, the timing belt broke while driving 50 mph. Is the 2.5 DOHC engine a non interference engine?

theFREAKnasty82
08-09-2005, 12:26 AM
No, the 2.5 V6 IS an interference engine. Ouch, I know how you feel. Only way to tell if you did any damage is to have the belt replaced and have a compression test done on the motor; then you'll be able to see if any valves were bent. Only Chrysler motor I know of that's not an interference engine is the 2.0 found in Neons.

gasshog2
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
[i also had two repair shop say the same thing, about it being a interference engine. just pulled the head, there's no sign of the pistons hitting the valves. so i guess the manuals are wrong.

theFREAKnasty82
08-14-2005, 09:42 PM
no, you just got lucky. 6 out 10 engines that suffer a timing belt breakage will damage the heads. I'm surprised they just pulled the heads off w/o doing a compression test first. Just FYI for next time, replace your belt every 60,000 miles.

gasshog2
08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I went ahead and did the tear down myself. Besides the timing belt problem, i was getting a small amout of oil in my coolant. The head gasket showed signs of leakage between a oil port and a coolant port on the left side.

Whats strange about the no damage to valve/pistons is the fact that I was driving 50 mph when the belt broke. My pistons are milled at a angle and also have counterbore areas to clear the valves. Could this be an improvement in the engine that they adopted in late 98 thats fully incorparated in 99?

Thanks for your information. Hope everything goes back together. Haven't got the timing belt completely off. Need to remove the motor mounts and raise the engine. The belt isn't broke in half like was expecting to see. I believe some of the cogs on the belt were knocked off? When turning the engine over the belt doesn't move. maybe sheared a pin?

thanks again

gasshog2
08-15-2005, 11:52 AM
made a typo , My engine is the 2.4 four cylinder. not the 2.5 . I didn't made the 2.5 error when i called the repair shops. I told them it was a 2.4 four cylinder and they said it was a interference engine. Were both of them wrong? or did I just get luck as you stated?

umina
09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
The 2.4L is a NON-INTERFERENCE engine, it is the only one. You should have no trouble, just replace the belt and water pump and re-assemble. Good luck!

AUTOUSA
09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Timing belt, 1998 Dodge Stratus, the timing belt broke while driving 50 mph. Is the 2.5 DOHC engine a non interference engine?
Are you totaly positive that 2.0 single overhead neon engine is not interference engine?I just had one die on me.Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!