Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making custom designs ith tweed and vynal?

projectsupra
05-01-2002, 09:05 AM
The little info I know is that you can use foam cut out a design and lay it on your door panel for example prior to laying the tweed. Can anyone explain in detail how its done? I notice tweed is used most of the time for deisgns that buldge out however I have seen it with vynal a few times I would prefer using vynal to do it. I am guessing its a little harder?

TheMan5952
05-02-2002, 04:04 PM
it is a little harder because it doesn't form well around sharp corners.

projectsupra
05-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. Wish me luck I plan on starting in the morning :)

I think I will try a simple graphic on the rear dash.

So should I just cut some foam and use adhesive and lay it than lay the vynal or tweed if I end up using that?

I figure I will work the material from the center of the foam on out so cover the bends best..

TheMan5952
05-08-2002, 12:57 AM
yea start with that and see how it turns out.

flatrimmer
08-27-2002, 05:43 AM
HI, to apply design, clean first like you were painting and do a good job. use landau top foam for design. this is closed cell foam and will cut easily with a razor blade. apply contact cement to both surfaces , the foam and the area it will be applied to. allow to drie 10 minutes before appling foam to suface that will recieve it. Landau foam has a slick surface that has to be scratched or scuffed a little to allow glue to bond to it properly. use 40 grit sandpaper. once pattern is made apply glue with spray gun and coat area to be done with glue and material to be used as well and let dry 10 minutes. apply material from the top of the raised area , your design, and apply pressure with a putty knife around pattern working a little at a time from the center- outward using putty knife will let sharper detail appear on edges of design. the p-knife will get into the recesses better than your fingers. go slow . this is one shot one chance territory.Dont be afraid to try a demo run on a piece of card board box, youll get a little feel for appling if you do

Add your comment to this topic!