Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical problem please help?

timmystets
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Hello Everyone

I am having a problem with my electrical system on my 2002 4 cyl honda civic.

The problem started slowly. At first the lights on the cruise control and rear defrost button would come and go. I didn't think to much of it at the time. The dealer told me that the bulbs were bad. I thought it may have been something else b/c sometimes they would work.

Then suddenly one day. The car was running fine. However, the SRS, ABS and battery lights would flash on and off. Then one day in the rain while using wipers, headlights, and my stereo, the electric came to a hault. Only to JUMP back on at full power and again the car ran fine.

I called the dealer and made an appointment. He told me it was most likely the alternator. I think their might be a bad sensor or a short somewhere.

Then the today i wouldn't start. Then with a jump it started fine and ran. However the lights were still flashing on the dash. Then about 20 miles later the battery began to "steam" and "bubble" as if it were overheated. Also the battery is making a terrible smell. This just happened today so I haven't been able to tell the Honda people yet.

Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Your help is much appreciated!

Add your comment to this topic!