Overheating/boiling over on a 94 Grand Am

Jere_RB
08-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Car will overheat quite regularly. Fan is spinning, fan motor has been replaced. Water pump has been replaced, as have the hoses from the reservoir to the engine. Any other ideas?

shadowmaker2
08-07-2005, 04:59 PM
make sure you are using antifreeze, I am having the same problem.

Jere_RB
08-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Yup, filled it up with antifreeze last week. Still overheated/boiled over.

sutts88
08-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Is it a 4 cyl or 6 cyl? I have a 4 cyl '95 Grand Am and evidently '90-95 or 96 4 cyl Grand Ams like to blow their head gaskets. My car blew the head gasket and it would overheat whenever I started it up. Also, when pouring antifreeze into the resevoir, it would run straight through and fall out the bottom of my car. However, I'm not sure if this was due to the head gasket or not. Look at your oil. If you have antifreeze in your oil, you've blown the head gasket. I'm not sure if this is true or not, I couldn't really tell, but someone told me that blown head gaskets will make white smoke come out of your exhaust - not normal exhaust - just alot of smoke. Hope this helps - and maybe you didn't do this - Kinda expensive to fix.

skibum1111
08-07-2005, 05:55 PM
You might not get white exhaust with a bad head gasket, I didn't with my 95 quad 4. What I did get was about 2 quarts of coolant in the oil, and the smell of burning coolant occasionally, no power loss, and it ran extremely cold at highway speeds. All the gaskets to do the job cost me about $200, and took 12 hours to do the job. I also changed the timing chain at the same time, had to take it off anyway. Another possibility is an air pocket in the cooling system, this will cause it to overheat as well. To take care of that, open the overflow tank and let the car idle with the cap off until it stops bubbling, just keep adding coolant every time it goes down so it doesn't suck air back into the system. You should be able to let the car idle with the cap off and not have any coolant come out of the tank even when the fan comes on, if coolant keeps bubbling out of the tank keep adding it when it goes back down, just make sure you don't overfill the tank as coolant will expand alot when it gets hot.

Ps3sucks
08-07-2005, 07:33 PM
haha i got a 2004 i still got 7500 miles on my warranty

xeroinfinity
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
did you replace the thermostat? if its in backwards it'll over heat and blow coolant out the radiator too. you'll notice when purging the system of all the air.

gmack221
08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
did you replace the thermostat? if its in backwards it'll over heat and blow coolant out the radiator too. you'll notice when purging the system of all the air.

even if you didn't replace the thermostat it could be stuck closed not letting the coolant flow thru the engine, if by chance its a quad 4 and you replaced the water pump and thermostat together and put in a cheap thermostat from autozone/murrays/ ect... I'd bet thats your problem if you properly got all the air out of the system. Always use Dealer thermostats or high quality Napa ones in a pinch!

Add your comment to this topic!