Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gsr Vs Z24

Pages : [1] 2 3

RedRocketGSR
04-30-2002, 11:34 PM
I got a 95 GSR and a friend of mine has a 99 cavalier Z24. Ever since i got this car all these people wanna race. All he has is exhaust and all i have is intake. My question is....how will i do?

Marasmus
05-01-2002, 07:57 AM
Let's take a 170hp Honda precision automobile with a very good transmission and race it against a slapped-together 150hp Chevy low-end market vehicle with a junker of a transmission and a lot more weight. Body flex to death. Both cars have their worst bottleneck fixed.

Hrm. If you haven't got a carlength on him by the time you actually get traction in second, you seriously need to practice your racing skills :) At the moment my GS-R is bone stock, plus a very heavy stereo system (easily 100lbs) and one AEM CAI. Still using the (near bald) crap michelins and running with a loose (1 inch of play) throttle cable, I destroy modified Z24's constantly. They simply can't compete without serious FI or Nitrous.

Note: I fixed the throttle cable on monday. :) it made a BIG difference :)

kidrocket
05-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Z24 is an appearance package...

RedRocketGSR
05-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Allright thanks for the replies. I thought i could take him but he wants to talk all this shit on how fast is car is and blah blah blah and i just wanted to smoke him. Plus i have a redline of 8000 and his is about 6500 and i have a close ratio tranny to where as he probably doesnt. Thanks again tho.:D

brettkorn2000
05-01-2002, 08:15 PM
dude, youll smoke em, i raced a 5 spd Z24, prolly bout a 99 and she could never actually break away from me, we were always side by side, and i have an auto:p

drift
05-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kidrocket
Z24 is an appearance package...

actually, Z24 is a performance package. they drop the Ecotec 2 litre and replace it with a Quad4 motor.

kidrocket
05-01-2002, 11:50 PM
i know but 140 hp in that car is zilch. thats what i was saying

M-type
05-02-2002, 03:09 AM
haha "preformance" haha, sorry but i find that really funny. Dont underestimate honda 4s. never ever......

drift
05-02-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by M-type
haha "preformance" haha, sorry but i find that really funny. Dont underestimate honda 4s. never ever......

dont underestimate the 2.4 litre Quad4. they made 100hp per litre in America long before Honda introduced one stateside.

M-type
05-02-2002, 04:43 AM
well i was just talking about the carola look alike, 150hp PREFORMANCE z24. It nice that quad4 made like 100hp, but look at the s2000, revs to 9rpm, 240hp (248hp japan) from a 2liter.

Marasmus
05-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Just a note on Honda and 100hp/liter...

Honda did release a CRX SI on the state-side back in the late 80's. It was the original B16a, pushing 160hp from a 1.6l engine.

The old CRX was a 4-bangin' samurai on wheels!

RedRocketGSR
05-03-2002, 03:00 PM
So you all think i will smoke him? My cousin has a 92 Civic SiR HB(B16A) and he said he could barely keep with them. I heard they have like 155hp and 150-155lb-ft of torque or somethin like that. Correct me if im wrong. My friend just wants to throw down like $20 on it or so but i wanted to make sure that i would win cuz i could really use that $20.:D

M-type
05-04-2002, 12:46 AM
if the z is stock, i bet you can take him or her.

diegoaccord
05-05-2002, 01:54 PM
yeah im a honda driver, but one gm 4 cyl that would rape a gsr is the real quad 4, from the 92 grand am gt, or older beretta gtz, 180 hp, more torque than any honda 4.

kidrocket
05-05-2002, 05:53 PM
sounds like your cuz doesnt know how to drive

M-type
05-06-2002, 03:45 AM
180 is impressive but, integs as most people know relies on their hp, and weight. for example a prelude might have 200hp but because of its weight, a gsr would beat it or come close to within .3sec on a quater. lots of car have good torque, thats why from the line most cars would lead for the first 2-3secs. Then the integ gets to 6-8000rpm, and catch up and beat most cars.

PiNoY GsR RaCeR
05-11-2002, 05:19 AM
You shold be able to beat that Z24.

Moppie
05-22-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Marasmus
Just a note on Honda and 100hp/liter...

Honda did release a CRX SI on the state-side back in the late 80's. It was the original B16a, pushing 160hp from a 1.6l engine.

There was never a B16a powered CRX sold in the US untill the Del Sol came along.

The orginal EF model Si CRX used a SOHC D16 engine making about 115hp.

The EF8 (CRX) and EF9 (Civic) which used the orginal B16a were only sold in Japan badged as the SiR with 157 quoted hp (they actualy make a little more) and in VERY limited numbers in europe badged as the VTi and with only 150hp.

There are however plenty of EF model Civics and CRX's running around the US with B16a's from Japan swapped into them.

PFCfutrell
05-28-2002, 01:36 AM
A friend of mine had (wrecked) a '00 Z24 auto with AEM CAI, Borla exhaust, pulleys, etc. His best time was a 15.7 I believe, pissed him off to no end that my very mildly moddified 'rex could beat him with only 1.6 liters of displacement.

SwiftyR
05-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Z24's are shitty if u ask me.... They May have a decient engine but they weight a hell of alot more then a GSR... I never raced a Z24.. I have raced a Base Model Cavilier and Killed him... He was Running the LOUDEST exhust i have ever heard and the ever so popular Stock rims/tires of course like evry rice boy he had to get rid of those Hub caps...lol

BeEfCaKe
06-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Really depends on driving too... and if u're racing on straight road or one with much turns... but either way i'd say GSR would still smoke a Z24...

kwik46
06-17-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by drift

dont underestimate the 2.4 litre Quad4. they made 100hp per litre in America long before Honda introduced one stateside.

240 HP out of a Quad 4 without laughing gas and some serious mods? Doubtful.

GSteg
06-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by kwik46

240 HP out of a Quad 4 without laughing gas and some serious mods? Doubtful.

drift is saying don't underestimate american cars because they had the 100hp per liter thing before the del sol ever came to US soil. same applies to the 2.4 quad. research it's background before making any uneducated guess.:)

Rev_Red
06-17-2002, 05:12 PM
I have a 1995 integra LS, when it was stock it would kill any Z24. Besides the 2002 Z24's have a 2.2, the 2001 have a 2.4.

kwik46
06-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by GSteg

drift is saying don't underestimate american cars because they had the 100hp per liter thing before the del sol ever came to US soil. same applies to the 2.4 quad. research it's background before making any uneducated guess.:)

I'm simply saying that I have driven both and there is no comparison.

2 car lengths to the teg.

Weston
06-25-2002, 03:39 AM
You'll rape him. I know a bunch of guys with Z24's and I raced 2 of the 3 fastest ones in the group just the other night. I beat them both and I have a LS.

The one that gave me the best run was a '01 Z24 with functional ram air hood, K&N filter, removed "tuner tube", and exhaust (no muffler). He also had some weight reduction. He ran a 15.6 in the 1/4 mile in Kansas City. I have a '97 LS with short ram intake, DC 4-2-1 header, ITR cat-back, short shifter, and full interior (and stuff in the trunk). His front bumper was at my rear bumper when I shut down at about 80-90 mph.

Z24's actually weigh a little less than Integras and have more torque, but it's not a quality automobile. GM cut a lot of corners. In fact, I should mention that the '01 Z24 is on it's 3rd motor. He spun a bearing in both of the previous motors. His new 2.4L motor only has a few thousand miles on it and the car has about 50k, but my Teg with it's 1.8L motor and 77k miles runs like new and beat the Cav without any problem.

I know a lot of people with Cavaliers and I have seen a hell of a lot of problems with them. The Z24 looks like it's supposed to be a race car or something, but looks are very deceiving. It has a cable gear shifter (instead of a solid shift linkage like Tegs have), so after some abuse it'll break and the driver will be stranded on the side of the road. The motors are weak and can't handle much. THERE IS A GOVERNOR AT 108 MPH! It clearly wasn't designed for high speeds, or they wouldn't have put a governor on it. Regardless of what a Z24 owner will claim, it is there for a reason, not just because of tire speed ratings or that they used the same ECU as regular Cavs. Even GM wouldn't bother to design the car to safely go faster than the top speed that they arbitrarily set for it. The front end will "float" (ie loose steeting control) if you disable the governor and take it to approx 120-130 mph. The Isuzu transmissions in the 98 (possibly 99) and earlier models are junk and will break after frequent hard driving. The circuitry looks like it was designed by a crack addict (I did some wiring on a Cav once; it saddened me that an engineer could be that stupid). They are difficult to work on, and GM designed things to be that way. You need a OBD2 scanner just to read a CEL code; it won't just flash out the code for you like a Teg will. Not to mention, the interior is cheap, the suspension is cheap, the brakes are cheap, the whole car is cheap. Hell, they made the intake manifold out of PLASTIC! And the resale value seriously sucks. There's relatively little aftermarket support for it too, and I'm sure there's a reason for that. Heck, the exhaust ports on the head are so small that I doubt a header could do much.

They aren't bad looking, and they'd make a good around-town car, but they clearly aren't sports cars. The Z24's are just fast low priced cars; kind of like a Civic, but they have power instead of quality. I would never own one; I wouldn't want to end up stranded on the side of the road somewhere, dead because I couldn't avoid a crash, or just SOL because the car's value drops so fast.

A stock LS will give a stock Z24 a good run in a drag race, but I think the Z24 has a slight advantage. However, a LS has double wishbone suspension, a rear sway bar, probably has a lower center of gravity, and better brakes, so it shouldn't have a problem beating a Z24 on the curves. The Integra was designed with performance in mind. The Cavalier was designed with economy in mind; the Z24 is mostly just a bigger motor and a driver who thinks it's a sports car.

There is a reason people don't take Cavaliers seriously. It's just the modern Chevette. I know GM is talking about building them with superchargers, but that will only make it faster; it will still be a poorly built econobox. It's like a Kia... even if it's fast enough to out run a Ferrari and can out corner a Porsche, it's still a Kia. There's a lot more to a car than it's performance.

Weston
06-25-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Rev_Red
I have a 1995 integra LS, when it was stock it would kill any Z24. Besides the 2002 Z24's have a 2.2, the 2001 have a 2.4.

Yes, the new Cavs have a 2.2L ecotec engine. I believe they discontinued the Z24 package as well. I watched a '01 Z24 blow the doors of a new '02 Cav a couple weeks ago, and then I beat that Z24 two nights ago.

TypeR
07-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Its a economy car not a sports car. They weren't made to go fast. nuff said

THE4TH
07-07-2002, 01:04 AM
yeah man my old 95 gsr killed my buddy's z24.. everytime..
no questions.. and i had a heavy system too..
not even a problem...

94tegRS
07-10-2002, 07:35 PM
ok, i know it is probably just some people tryoing to be funny, but who are the 6 that say thre Z24will smoke the GSR?

H-carWizKid
07-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by TypeR
Its a economy car not a sports car. They weren't made to go fast. nuff said

The same could be said for our Integras... Actually the "Type R" is just a "performance package", and the GSR is a "Performance/ Luxury package". The same could be said for the Z24.

I like to believe that the Acura would win, but I will also say that it depends on the particular competitors.

Phil

TypeR
07-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Yeah but were dealing with cars in different classes already, look at the quater mile times, cavaliers best model can almost be beat an integra base model, the gsr is quite the ways away and type r is out of the cavaliers question...

Weston
07-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by TypeR
Yeah but were dealing with cars in different classes already, look at the quater mile times, cavaliers best model can almost be beat an integra base model, the gsr is quite the ways away and type r is out of the cavaliers question...

Exactly. A Cavalier is much more comparable to a Civic. It's performance, price, features, and target buyer are all very similar. You pay more for an Integra and you get more in return; it's more than an average passenger car like a Civic or a Cavalier.

People who talk like Cavaliers (even the Z24's) are in the same league as Integras are morons, plain and simple. It would be like comparing my mod'ed LS to a Lexus IS300 based on the fact that mine is almost as fast; the Lexus is clearly a superior car, worth a lot more, and comes with more.

TypeR
07-20-2002, 08:06 PM
exactly, a civic is a good comparison, its a economy coupe, integra is more of a sports coupe, or even a sports car some people think of it, so its apples and oranges...

H-carWizKid
07-20-2002, 10:44 PM
I totally understand how you feel. I OWN an Integra, I LOVE my Integra, but deep down I still know that it is really just a four banger FWD car with some extra go juice, not unlike the Z-24. This is fact, and it is undeniable.

The S2000 is a sportscar, the NSX is a sportscar.
The Integra is a "sporty car", even the Type R.

Webster defines sportscar as: A low 1 or 2 passenger car designed for high speed driving.

I didn't make that shit up... look it up for yourself.

Seriously, We can make Integras great, but we cannot make them something they are not.

Phil

klawria
07-31-2002, 12:44 PM
I've got a '87 plymouth horizon with a 2.2L and I've smoked cavaliers. I can get a gt through the first 2 gears. They arent that hot.

+ they fall apart

+ IMHO they have ugly interiors

BloodyMario
08-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Hey CarWizKid, I see you've got one of the first Gen3 GSRs. I've got one of the last ones. And it's also milano red. That makes us umm... I guess brothers.
:silly2:

H-carWizKid
08-01-2002, 02:42 PM
I am trying to figure out if my 94' GSR, and my Dads 94' NSX came over from Japan on the same boat.

Anyone know where that kind of info could be obtained?

Phil

M-type
08-04-2002, 04:53 AM
haha the gsr vs z24 question again.... for the last time z24 with a pray would match a gsr. Dont even think about a type R, you'll be lucky if your z24 doesnt break before you meet up with the type R at the next rest stop or at the end of the 1/4 mile. You cant beat a honda engine. they can push 240hp or 247hp (jap) from a 2liter inline 4. hey wiz kid, about your question, i dont think there is a way to figure out if the NSX and the integ came on the same boat but if you look at the vin of both and see if they came from the same factory, there is a good chance that they did came on the same boat. I consider my Integ as a sports car, look at all the campionships "realtime" and "comptech" integs won over the bmws and audi. They dont handle as good as my s2000 bone stock but with mods i got my gsr to handle as good as my s2k.

H-carWizKid
08-04-2002, 11:42 AM
I won't debate that the Integra can be made to handle.
My contention is that it does not fit the classic definition of a sportscar.

The accomplishments of RealTimeRacing are certainly admirable. I respect what they have accomplished, as you can see here (http://www.nsxprime.com/Events/2001/nsxpo2001/1017wed/P1010037.JPG). That is my Dad (NSX owner) and I (GSR owner) Dead center of the picture wearing long sleave tour t-shirts for PalmTrees-to-Cheese NSX Caravan. In the picture we are at the RTR Garages in Wisconsin. This picture was taken during the reception for NSXPO last October.

Phil

SkiBum1585
08-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RedRocketGSR
So you all think i will smoke him? My cousin has a 92 Civic SiR HB(B16A) and he said he could barely keep with them. I heard they have like 155hp and 150-155lb-ft of torque or somethin like that. Correct me if im wrong. My friend just wants to throw down like $20 on it or so but i wanted to make sure that i would win cuz i could really use that $20.:D

Man your cousin should practice his driving before he races stock cars like that z24...a B16a has full capabilities to beat those things.

SkiBum1585
08-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by RedRocketGSR

Ok..if you notice at car-stats.com the cavalier runs about a 17.2...and just to let you know that compares to a stock civic SI that runs 15.7. Your cousin does not deserve that car.

SkiBum1585
08-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by H-carWizKid

The same could be said for our Integras... Actually the "Type R" is just a "performance package", and the GSR is a "Performance/ Luxury package". The same could be said for the Z24.

I like to believe that the Acura would win, but I will also say that it depends on the particular competitors.

Phil

Actually the Type R is more of the luxury package due to the fact that the type r and gsr is the exact same body mods...and they only differ in the engine. Thank you..nice try

94tegRS
08-14-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum1585

Actually the Type R is more of the luxury package due to the fact that the type r and gsr is the exact same body mods...and they only differ in the engine. Thank you..nice try

ACTUALLY - the 98 gsr vs. 98 ITR.

GSR has AC,CC,PDL,PS,PW,Tilt,170HP.

now the ITR

PDL,PW,PS,Tilt,195HP,LSD

so the type r does without some of the nice features and instead has a LSD and 195 HP engine, "performance"

the gsr has no LSD and less power but still more than the base models and it has all the power stuff "performance/luxury"

Id say the guy was right in the first place ;)

H-carWizKid
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 94tegRS

ACTUALLY - the 98 gsr vs. 98 ITR.

GSR has AC,CC,PDL,PS,PW,Tilt,170HP.

now the ITR

PDL,PW,PS,Tilt,195HP,LSD

so the type r does without some of the nice features and instead has a LSD and 195 HP engine, "performance"

the gsr has no LSD and less power but still more than the base models and it has all the power stuff "performance/luxury"

Id say the guy was right in the first place ;)

SkiBum: Add to that...

The Type R has very little sound deadening material (to save weight)

The Type R has better brakes from the factory

The Type R has a more ridgid body to improve handling

Type R has distinctive body mods that differentiate them from other Integras (front lip spoiler, distinctive rear wing spoiler)

The Type R is a SPORT package.

Good day

Phil

chad174
09-13-2002, 05:49 PM
ok, well..it seems like not many of you know much about cavaliers. i do, because i used to own one. there are guys that have z24s that run 12s with turbo and nitrous. i turbocharged mine and blew the 2.2 wide open. shattered 3 pistons at 9 psi...and i was smoking every honda i raced. i kept up with my buddy steve, who has a crx with b20z swap and he runs a 14.6. now, as for the z24 motors, thats a good motor. it has way more low end torque than most honda engines. that z24 probably will pull on you for a second at the start, then you'll take him. also, the quad 4 motor you guys are referring to is called the w41. it was made for oldsmobile by general motors. it made 195 horses STOCK. either way, i think you'll beat him, but you guys should give the american cars credit where they deserve it. the cavaliers arent bad cars, there's just too many guys that have them that think they're tight cuz they got a cavy. i didn't, i never riced mine out, i just made it fast. there's some guys that have KILLER cavaliers that would embarass most of the turbo civics and tegs on this board. and, the cavalier isn't that heavy. they weigh about 2650 without a driver. sorry for the long post, but you guys should know what you're talking about before you try to talk about it.

kidrocket
09-13-2002, 05:54 PM
you raced slow hondas if 14.6 was the best honda run you had, and you only"kept up"

chad174
09-13-2002, 10:17 PM
yeah, i live in ANCHORAGE, ALASKA. a 14.6 honda up here is fast. fast honda cars aren't common. i beat most of the civics i raced before i turbocharged my car, when all i had was a crank pulley, intake, and exhaust. and my point was not how fast my car was, but that the z24 should be respected in its own right. its pretty damn cheap for how quick they are.

kidrocket
09-13-2002, 10:21 PM
I agree. A lot of people dick on Jbodys, but ive seen some running low 15s with minor boltons. Ive even seen a sunfire with a grand prix motor swapped in

chad174
09-13-2002, 10:27 PM
yeah, there's a guy who has a supercharged v6 out of a grand prix in his cavalier. he ran a 14 flat, on street tires with major traction problems. there's a guy with a turboed and juiced w41 cavalier that runs a 12.7, and he hasn't got his shit tuned yet. this other guy i know karo, is building his engine right now, he's going to run 26 psi on a 2.4 quad, and he's expecting to run 11's and eventually 10s. so there are somr eally dedicated j-body owners out there, with some seriously fast cars. my car was going to be one of them, until i got pulled over with 3/4 pound of dope in my car and had to get a $$$$$ lawyer. damn cops.

chad174
09-13-2002, 10:30 PM
oh yeah, here's the site of the guy with the grand prix motor, for all you haters and non-believers.

http://z24sc.8m.com/

THE4TH
09-18-2002, 12:27 AM
yeah i used to have a 95 gsr with an intake. and a buddy of mine had a z24, and i would toss him around like a bag of kittens all day long..
don't even bother.. not till he loses 800lbs or so ..

chad174
09-18-2002, 01:44 AM
don't bother with him until he loses 800 lbs? if he lost 800 lbs, he would smoke GSR's all day long. and how would you plan on losing 800 lbs in a cavalier? you could totally strip the interior and still only lose about 400 lbs. they aren't that heavy, and they aren't that much slower than a GSR. Especially if they've got a good driver behind the wheel. But i do think that GSR's are better cars. Better built, easier to work on, way more aftermarket support.

THE4TH
09-18-2002, 04:52 AM
how about this... tune em all up.. none of this sc, turbo, liquid hp.. just straight engine mods.. and go from there.. real cars.. i'll take the gsr anyday... and my point about the weight is exactly what you think ..
if you lost 800lbs you would take a gsr, but you can't...

TerminalVelocity
09-18-2002, 08:34 AM
just take out

1engine
2seats
3transsmiton

:D

kidrocket
09-18-2002, 11:22 AM
what are the torque numbers for type Rs?

THE4TH
09-19-2002, 12:18 AM
lol..... :D

chad174
09-26-2002, 08:11 PM
hey the4th...i dont know if you know this, but the 2.3 and 2.4 gm engines are race-designed. a completely built n/a 2.4 can make way more power than a built n/a gsr motor. it's got .6 liters more displacement. even with 4 bangers, there is no replacement for displacement if they're not turbo cars. the 2.4 would be faster.

TRDcavalier__O
10-11-2002, 07:17 PM
I have a Z24 and you guys are all way off. Heres the way the car is set up and built. Base model is shit with a 2.2 Ohv or something. it has 115 hp and is worthless. This motor is found in all 3rd gen base cavaliers. Now Z24's from 96-02 come with a 2.4 liter dohc motor that red lines at about 5700. With a 5 speed getrag transsmission these cars run 15.7 in the quarter stock. I have a 2000 Z24 5 speed and yes it is poorly designed to compete in the import sport compact market, but many improvements are being made by general motors to begin competeing. There is now an after market blower that can be purchased with the car, and with the car it with run 14.7 with just the blower. I have i few mods and i'm running low 15's. My mods are only a cheap intake, 62mmTB, and exhaust. Now to cut to the chase and let you know how a race between a GSR and a Z24 would be. I raced a Moded up GSR:quafe LSD/AEM intake/NI cat back/ and short shifter. He beets me by a car length and he has a way bigger advantage with an lsd and real good bridgestone tires. So i'd say with a stock or slightly moded GSR is should be close. Oh and a word of advice Z24's are real good off the line do to the whole low end torque thing. Most honda guys i race ask me if i spray off the line. I think Vtec is a very unbeatable invention. But don't get cocky with it. Oh and as for the Z24 being heavy, its not. It weights 2645 lbs. and most serious street racers gut the interior before going out. Having knowledge of the enemy makes you a better opponent.....

TRDcavalier__O
10-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Ok 800lbs? hello a gsr weighs about 2600 add 800= 3400 lol the cavalier is not a full size family car!!!! you idiots the 4 door sedan Z24 made only the early part of 02 ran 15.8 and thats the heavest it can get boys. from car parts.com:

2000 Acura Integra R

Engine: 1.8-liter, four-cylinder, 195 hp.

Transmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive

Safety: Dual airbags, four- wheel antilock disc brakes

Place of Assembly: Japan

Weight: 2,639 pounds

and thats the type R i bet the GSR is heavier. so Z24 and a Gsr are about the same weight. well no use talkin about it go race a z24 and find out.

p.s. there are such things as shitty drivers too i garrantee you won't be beeting my Z

Add your comment to this topic!