Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hot starting problem!?!

ghostrx7
08-07-2005, 12:02 AM
well, just got my adkins streetported engine in and it rips like a mofo, but it doesnt want to start when it gets hot! i cleaned my injectors so its not that. i read all kinds of reasons and solutions, but i was just wondering if anyone else tackeled this problem? im gonna put a switch on the fuel pump, then yurn it on after its crankin, but thats just a quick bandaid, i want it to work as new.

FDTT
08-07-2005, 03:35 AM
S4 TII's often exibit a hot start problem. Due to the fact that the fuel rail is bolted to the block. The fuel esentialy vapourises in the rail.

Keep in mind, your negine is new, the seals need to brake in before they will work properly, and seal it all up when you are trying to start it.

drftk1d
08-07-2005, 11:17 AM
i thought the fuel rail bolts to the intake manifold(s)?

badassfocus1101
08-08-2005, 12:58 AM
my 87 fc s4 tII is the same way, i can drive it get it to norm temp shut it off crank it and it wont start, it gets flooded, have to pull EGI COMP fuse and crank for 15-20 sec with gas pedal to the floor then try to start it but, push start works better tho, but yea, if someone does know a fix to the hot start problem let us both know

ghostrx7
08-08-2005, 01:35 AM
ya, i used the fuse method before the new engine, but it wore out my starter, plus i dont feel too good about poppin my hood everytime i wanna start it.(not to cool with the ladies!)lol, my mechanic is puttin in a new starter and runnin a switch for the pump. we'll see what happens.thats for the ideas, keep em coming. i know it started hot just fine a few months ago, so it gotta be some stupid azz little thing!!!

FDTT
08-08-2005, 02:26 AM
This is a COMMON problem on RX7's.
It effects both the S4 and S5 lines. The difference with the S5 is that the ECu has a switch in it that when the gas pedal is put to the floor it cuts fuel and the car starts without flooding.
The S4 does not have this, and Mazda was installing fuel cut switches in brand new cars. Some cars suffer from it badely, some dont. I found what helps alot if if you take the fuel line and wrap it in reflective heat rap, to try to keep the temp in the rails down. It helps quite a bit.

If you want, you can make up a switch similar to what they use on an S5 to cut the fuel when cranking and the foot to the floor. Or just mount a toggle switch up to cut the fuel.

ghostrx7
08-08-2005, 06:34 AM
thats the plan for now, thanks.

ghostrx7
08-12-2005, 03:27 PM
i guess my turbo timer was drawing current somehow, and my wiring was a little messed up from an alarm the previous owner installed. got it running good now, thing flys!!!!!!im thinkin bout doing a haltech next year, but itll be sitting in the garage for the winter. anyone know if a apexi power fc exists for a 88?i dont think so, but my mechanic seems to think they are just really rare.

FDTT
08-13-2005, 02:02 AM
The power Fc is for the S5 only, BUt you can adapt it to the S4 if you really want. But i see no point in that really.

drftk1d
08-13-2005, 01:06 PM
naw fuck that. grab a microtec or haltech.

or wolf 3d

Add your comment to this topic!