Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad day for me :(

crab
08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Does anybody know if Tamiya will ship extra parts?

I put my clk dtm hood under a lamp for the clear coat to dry faster. No doubt it did, but the hood is now severely warped :( First time this ever happened to me :(

boostspike
08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
how bad is it??? can you reheat the hood (maybe dipping it in hot water). and re-shape it??? contact Tamiya they might sell just the hood... worth a shot.

crab
08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
This is how bad it is...

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/31660ScanImage001.jpg

:(

g00eY
08-06-2005, 11:40 PM
it's just like an indent right? you could first try to fix it by using hot water or heating it, then if that doesn't work i'm sure Tamiya ships extra parts. look on your instructions. there should be a phone number.

cham2020
08-06-2005, 11:51 PM
dun be sad
my encouter is more worst
i dunnoe wt happen to me that day
i screw my evo VI ( my first tamiya kit ) body color and details are gone due excessive sanding
so i threw the kit away
and the rest is spare part:)
cheers !

ales
08-07-2005, 12:19 AM
HLJ and Rainbowten both offer spare Tamiya parts, and so does Tamiya USA (you'll need to search the forum for more information and the phone number as I dont' have it).

Jaymes
08-07-2005, 12:21 AM
That actually looks like a pretty realistic hood damage

klutz_100
08-07-2005, 12:56 AM
tamiya will repalce parts but it might take a quite a long time for it to arrive.

How about doing some putty practice? ;)

boostspike
08-07-2005, 08:30 AM
the sides and the front of the hood looks to be in decent shape..how about hacking up the hood and doing something custom. :smile:

mike@af
08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Make it a real race car with dents now! Honestly, I think that would be a great idea.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Make it a real race car with dents now! Honestly, I think that would be a great idea.

Carbon fiber dents. Hmmm... :lol: Maybe some rust too? :evillol: Actually, that hood may be steel or aluminum.

Looks like it might just have an impression and could be filled/sanded to look halfway decent. If the basic shape and dimensions aren't warped it could be fixed. Perhaps try to fix it and order a new one?

g00eY
08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
in my opinion it looks more than fixable(at least the outward appearance). what i would try is to bend it back, and then put some putty on it and smooth it out. the underside will probably still be a little warped, but the outside might look alright.

Sticky Fingers
08-08-2005, 02:22 AM
I think the 'dented car idea' is the way to go. You've got an excuse to do it now. Seeing as you now know how to do it.

blueboost
08-08-2005, 02:52 AM
call (800) TAMIYA-A

tell them the kit #, and tell them you need whichever parts tree (A,B, etc..) that the hood was attached to.

May be cheaper to buy a whole new kit. Here's a tip, look at some tamiya kits to find wheels that you like from the kit, and order those along with the hood to make it worth it. :smile:

tamiya_man
08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Yep, From my experience, they will only sell you the tree on which the part comes on. Just let things dry naturally dude! I always seem to make itty-bitty mistakes when i try to rush things;)

crab
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Yeah maybe it's not obvious from the photo but it's a dent + 120 degree warp near the upper edge which makes reforming the part under hot water utterly impossible.

I tried contacting Tamiya but to replace the part (sprue) costs almost as much as the kit itself! SOOO you're all right in that I now *HAVE* an excuse for scratch-building the hood! I'm probably gonna cut up the hood and add an air duct there or something! So keep watching this thread for any progress!

Sticky Fingers
08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I think you should scratch build a fat ass beee-atch & pop her on the bonnet!

Add your comment to this topic!