Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 toyota pickup V6 EFI Won't start

jpyles1
08-06-2005, 01:23 PM
My Father has a 1989 Toyota Pickup it ran great the engine was replaced a few years ago when they did that huge recall on them. About 2 years ago he stopped driving and it would sit for a little while and he would go out and crank every so often. The last time he cranked it was about a year when he moved the truck to the other side of the house, it cranked up just fine but when he parked it, it had ran completely out of gas. So sitting for a year ni gas in it, I decided I was going to get it up and running and use it as a work truck but it won't start.

I have dropped the fuel tank cleaned it out (wasn't very dirty) checked the fuel pump and on a closed system it puts about 70 pounds of pressure out, I have replaced all the fuel injector O-rings compression gasket (all were dry and brittle) I have Ohmed out the throttle position sensor and it showing the correct amount of Ohm's. I plugged in a Code scanner and I get only get code 51. I have read some of the other posts and few people say they get a 51 after thier truck has sat for a long time and come to find out it was thier timing belt of course this was on a 4-cyl. and was wondering if it is possible for this to happen on the V-6. Of course it could still the the throttle position sensor but would rather not spend the dough if I don't have to.

Please help,

jpyles1
08-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I have good fuel pressure at the Fuel rails I get good spark on all Cyl. I have also replaced the starter, I also replaced the fuel pump, pulled the cold start injector and veryified it works and the injector are working because after several attempts turning over the engine you can see and smell the gas on the spark plugs when you remove them. The engine just turns over never fires.

Please Help Me,
Jay

KimMG
08-07-2005, 12:10 AM
When you turn the motor over does the rotor spin?

oneside_1
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I have an 88 v6 That is having the exact same problem. All my fuses and relays seem to be in working order but the engine just turns over and never starts. Anyone out there have any opinions? All help appreciated!

oneside_1
10-23-2010, 06:52 PM
When it died it was as if it just lost its charge very weird...alternator maybe? (especially since i had been running around town in it all morning then...sudden death...)

carpenter_jai
10-30-2010, 08:46 PM
When it died it was as if it just lost its charge very weird...alternator maybe?

Did you charger your battery and have another try at starting? If you have a charged battery but the alternator is bad, you should be able to start and drive until the battery runs out of juice.

Another possible issue is that electrical wiring somewhere is corroded. Check the connections at the fuse block under the hood. Keep the key in the ignition on with the radio on too so if you happen to move a bad wire, you'll get some sign of life inside.

Jai

fourwd1
10-30-2010, 10:18 PM
If the motor turns over and you're getting fuel to the plugs, it sounds like you're not getting spark. Have you checked for that??

Add your comment to this topic!