Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sounds like its running on 3 cyl?

hsunibie
08-06-2005, 09:09 AM
hello everyone I am new to this forum and I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone could give me. so heres the deal, I own a 1997 tacoma with the 2.7 L 4 cyl, and when I go to start the engine up in the morning, the car sounds like it is running on 3 cyl. however when I accellerate it keeps on acting like that for about 30 seconds and then it goes back to normal. so what do you think is my problem and what can be done about it.
thanks again,
Mike

Brian R.
08-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Most likely is ignition. When it is running bad, pull the plug wires one at a time and see which is the bad cylinder. The one that doesn't make a big change is the bad one. Then check the ignition parts feeding that cylinder. These are the easy checks.

Once you have the bad cylinder located, see if its injector is tapping when it is running bad. If not, then replace/clean the injector.

If pulling the plug wires on the cylinders one at a time don't affect it more than the others, then you have a more general problem, bad fuel delivery (EFI-related) or bad ignition in a general component (ignitor, etc). Could also be a vacuum leak or similar problem, but I don't see how that kind of problem will fix itself.

Do you have a "Check Engine" light showing? If so, get the code the ECM is storing. This will help you diagnose a sensor-related problem.

Add your comment to this topic!