Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint pigment - how do I use it?

redstang423
08-05-2005, 02:46 PM
At my local craft store, they sell jars of powdered paint pigment that make color changing paint, iridescent, pearlescent, and metal imitations. The instructions on the jar says it mixes with any medium like paint, varnish, etc. My question is what do I actually mix it to to get the proper look? For instance, they have a red/blue color changing pigment. Would I add that to say a red or a blue color or would I add it to a clear? My best guess is that if I add it to clear, it would stay a red and blue flip, but if I added it to say a yellow, it would become orange to green. Anyone have any ideas? Would it work the same way with the iridescent paints?

dag65
08-05-2005, 03:14 PM
those are made to be added to clear and applied over a black base for the best effect

Amazon
08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Yepp, the above answer says it all.
But of course you could always experiment for fun; try laying it on a medium blue base, try mixing the powders, e.t.c.!

redstang423
08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
excellent, thanks for responding so quick!

blubaja
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Would those happen to be made by Pearl-Ex? I just used them on my Jeep (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=439190). I added some to the paint, came out ok. I added some more to the clear...was too much :rolleyes: They don't really shift alot, but are really a kick ass pearl effect.

Frank X.

redstang423
08-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Good question - I can't remember for the life of me.

Should I use a flat black or gloss black for the undercoat? Also, clearcoat it and polish the clearcoat right?

Add your comment to this topic!