Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to?

longlivetheZ
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
How the hell do you get a head unit out?! I have an 88 300ZX with an Alpine CDA-9835 in it and I have a sub + amp system waiting to go in. I don't have the cash to have it installed like I'd like to, so I'm considering doing it myself. I can do it...the only thing I don't know how to do is how to get the head unit out. Any advice?

CBFryman
08-04-2005, 12:19 PM
takes a removal kit, two big U looking things. yo ucan get one at walmart for like $15

AndonD454
08-04-2005, 12:22 PM
after you pop out the ring around the face (if you have one) look for tiny slots on the left and right sides of the head unit, right in the middle of each side. if you have these, there are little keys they make that slide into those slots and pop the HU out.

if not, you might have to pop out the dash area and actually pull out the whole mounting system installed for that HU. its usually only held in with a couple screws.

longlivetheZ
08-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I can get these little keys and what not I need to get it out at walmart? If that's true, I'll go tomorrow afternoon when I get up and be rockin like a mo-fo tomorrow evening...:evillol:

That'll complete the system for now. Alpine CDA-9835 head unit...just about the top of the line...set of four Infinity 2 ways that were in the car when I got it...didn't even know they were in there until a week or so ago!...and these 2 MTX 12s currently in question powered by an MTX amp pushing ~200W...will be good shit in a tiny little hatch back like mine...:biggrin:

CBFryman
08-05-2005, 08:18 AM
probably cheapest at walmart as far as local stores go ;) audio shops will ahve them but they will probably be mroe expensive

L|_|da
08-05-2005, 08:24 AM
get em @ walmart

OffRoadSonoma
08-05-2005, 09:43 AM
get em @ walmart

It sure is a good thing people leave quality comments on here. Especially complete sentances at that. :screwy: Hey L|_|da, Do you live in Alabama?

PaulD
08-05-2005, 12:02 PM
hey, I live in alabama :grinno:

CBFryman
08-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Kids, Do you like Chimpokomon'?

Then your gonna love Alabama Man!!!

Alabama Man, he's Fat, he's white, he's drunk!!!

Kids watch Alabama man come home late from some drinking and bowling with the boys.

"why are you home late"

"bitch shut up"

He's ALABAMA MAN!!!!

not all people from alabama are white....

LMAO

OffRoadSonoma
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Never said they were all bad, or all white. Shit I bowl 3 nights a week, not old enough to drink so I don't drink, he's not even from Alabama. I was just saying. So what are you saying, Alabama Man isn't white?? :eek7: HMMMM. So what's everyone having for dinner? Some grilled cheese sandwiches and tomotoe soup sounds pretty good.

longlivetheZ
08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
You think this (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1863070&cat=4429&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3947%3A4429) would work? The description is kinda vague.

OffRoadSonoma
08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I would just go to mickey shoore or another car audio place and tell them you need a dash kit and what kind of car you have. Sometimes with those universal kits they don't fit exactly right.

longlivetheZ
08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I got it...went to Best Buy and asked them if they had the keys to get an Alpine out. Gave them to me for free. Thanks, guys.

fred495us1
08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
well when i took my HU out i just used two thin knives and it worked just fine

longlivetheZ
08-05-2005, 11:38 PM
That's basically what these look like. About 7" long...1/4" thick...just hope they work. They should.

CBFryman
08-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Offroadsanoma, you didnt watch enough south park...chimpokomon' should have givven it awa :D

unless i lost all sarcasum in that for which it is 11:00 am and i was up untill this morning and i am back up agian :(

OffRoadSonoma
08-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Nope. Don't watch very much south park. I think I'm usually in bed by then.

PaulD
08-06-2005, 05:17 PM
yea, the newer alpine removal tools look like a shaped, thin butter knife.

I would stay away from the universal mount kits, the ones that say late model Honda/Acura are bad enough.

longlivetheZ
08-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm not using a mount kit. It's already mounted and functional in the car. I just thought that that kit might have the removal tools in it, but it doesn't...I don't think. I got lucky and found a guy at Best Buy that was pretty cool. He gave me the tools free. Good thing...they're just two little pieces of metal, anyway...couldn't cost more than 8 cents anyway. lol

Now I just have to put the stuff in. I'm a bit reluctant to put it in cuz the amp and box is actually my girlfriend's and she's been pissing me off recently...don't wanna install it, then break up with her and just have to take it out again...lol. I'll probably put it in there tomorrow. The wiring's the hard part. I could pop the amp and box out pretty easy so I guess it's all good.

Yo Fryman...you really get over 140 db in a TRUCK!? Aren't you deaf by now?

CBFryman
08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
wow a good audio experence at best buy...that is a first...y they are ust a U shaped thing with hooks at the end but walmart here sles the m for like 8 bucks and the audioshop sells them for like 18bucks.

longlivetheZ
08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
These aren't really hooks. They look kinda like long, thin knives. I started running the wires yesterday. Almost got the power wire done. I'm gunna work on it some more today.

longlivetheZ
08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Alright, guys. I got all the wiring in and it's all hooked up. 3 things that concern me...

1 - In the back of the head unit, there are 3 sets of RCA jacks and NONE of them are labeled...2 pairs are physically on the back of the head unit and 1 pair is dangling from the wiring harness...???...I don't know which pair to use, so I just picked one. I figured that they all HAVE to be outs...I just don't know which one is the sub out and the instruction manual doesn't say.

2 - There is nowhere to hook up the "remote on" wire! (The back of the head unit is REALLY sparse...) What the HELL!?! I thought the amp would just stay ON all the time without this...well...it just stays OFF all the time instead. This is a BIG problem...how can I get it to come on?

3 - This REALLY ercked me...I was trying to get the little plastic frame off the front of the head unit so I could get the head unit out...as I'm tugging gently on the plastic frame, THE WHOLE HEAD UNIT JUST SLIDES RIGHT OUT! I was like...WHAT THE FUCK!? Great to know my $600+ Alpine head unit can be yanked out of my car with one hand and NO TOOLS. Who ever put it in for me didn't push it in all the way so it locked...it was just kinda hangin there. On the bright side, this made putting the wires in pretty easy and if I have to change anything on the back of it, getting it back out shouldn't be too difficult.

PaulD
08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
the 2 hard pair of rca's are probably the front and rear outputs, this can be verified by using the fader; for alpine, the top set is usually the rear outputs. The one wired to the harness is most likely the sub output. The remote wire for the amp turn on, on a late model alpine is blue with a white stripe. On the amp, that is the switch - it swill stay off untill that terminal receives a +12 volt input.

longlivetheZ
08-07-2005, 10:18 PM
You know your shit, man. Why don't they label anything? I'm gunna plug the RCA jacks into the right jacks tomorrow. As for the remote wire, I remember seeing a little tiny wire coming out of the harness that was blue and white. I looked at a little sticker that was on the unit and it said remote, but I didn't think that's what it was for...I was expecting something different, plus this said something about the antenna or something. I just splice into that wire and run that to the amp? Gunna be tough to do if that is what I have to do...all the wires in the harness are smooshed together really tightly. Thanks for the help, man.

PaulD
08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
don't use the one that said "antenna" ... it is blue too. I know on aftermarket head unit, if youy do that it will turn the amp off when the CD player is turned on (cuz the radio is off).

The wiring diagram should be pasted to the top of unit ...... if not, go to alpines web site - you should be able to download the owners manual that way.

longlivetheZ
08-08-2005, 01:21 PM
That's what I was thinking...thought that it would shut off when I turned the radio off...that's not good. I'll look at it today. I downloaded the manual yesterday and didn't see anything about this subject in it.

L|_|da
08-09-2005, 08:03 AM
well let us know, and i live in northern virginia, a lil ways from alabama. and im glad you like my quality comments

what kind of amp/subs are you putting in?

PaulD
08-09-2005, 12:00 PM
the manual should have a wiring diagram on like one of the last 2-3 pages

CBFryman
08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Just an FYI for anyone

Rem turn on's are almost always blue or blue with some color stripe.

longlivetheZ
08-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Got it in yesterday, guys. I have to keep it WAY down...2 12" mtx's with a 200-something watt amp is WAY too much for a 2 seater 300ZX. I put a single 12" MTX in the first Z I had that pushed 150 watts or something and it would set off car alarms. Sounded great. The interior of that one was bigger, though cuz it was a 2+2. This one has twice the subs, more power and less interior space. Instead of feeling your nose tickle or your hair move or your shirt move with this music, you feel the AIR move. It's weird. Sounds pretty decent though.

Complete system as of right now consists of:

Alpine CDA-9835 head unit.
Set of 4 2-way Infinity speakers.
Pair of 12" MTX subs in box.
MTX Roadthunder amp with ~200 watts or so.

Add your comment to this topic!